 Administrative / General / 10091
Re: Non ISO charaters (was Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there i
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:28:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> writes:

[...] LUGNET™ trdemark [...]

I've been addressing this issue before, but I think it is about time
to pick it up again.  Matthew, I'm using your article as an example,
no offence!

Hee-hee...no offense taken! I understand, 'cuz here's what your mail link
looks like on my Macintosh: Fredrik =?iso-8859-1?q?Gl=F6ckner?=
<fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no>

I frequently see the use of characters which are not in the ISO 8859-1
character set on LUGNET.  One example is the "™" above.  I don't
know if this is posted via the web interface or with a mail/news
agent.  But if it is posted via the web interface, would it be an idea
for the web interface engine to specify the correct character set in
the "Content-Type" header field?  That would make articles which use
non ISO 8859-1 charcters easier to read.

I'm web interface, and of course, it looks just fine to me posting or
reading! 8?)

The idea is good though, or something in the vein of the global allowable
characters that many forums use might work (a shortcut list of symbols that
folks could cut and past out of...they'd look the same to everyone that way).

Matt