 Administrative / General / 10097
Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there is a market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess writes:

<Snip>

-Duane

Wow, that cleaned up pretty good!

Let's cut to the end of the tape...

Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) is not a good thing.
I'll tell you why:

First thing-no names please--whatever happened before that started this
whole thing in whatever group (that I may or may not belong to--mum's the
word ;) ) is not relevant *now*.

Now what is relevant is where do we* go from here

Community Policing, as far as I can see, and as far as those I talk to can
see, is a few people who seem to read *every* *single* *post* looking for
naughty words, or for something they can get their knickers in a knot over.

Reading every single post is not inherently wrong.  I'm starting to take
interest in groups outside my own little LUGNET world and finding that I'm
enjoying them.

Properly and/or politely admonishing someone who offended you in a post is
*not* an issue, either.  The issue comes when Community Policing steps in
and 'lays the smack down'.  If you read something that bothered you *and*
you noticed that the postee was already (and hopefully politely) chastized
about it, why do you have to add your 2 coppers?

It's small 'c' community 'p' policing that is a good thing for LUGNET.

'Psst, hey bud, we really don't appreciate that sorta talk here in our own
little corner of the world--could you tone it down just a bit? plsthx :) .'

Further, having a thicker skin--you don't need a sense of humour (some say
'Get a sense of humour about it, would ya?'  That doesn't work either), just
a thicker skin--to be able to not immediately post right when you are
offended.  It's like some people are trolling to see where they can get
their soap box out and shout, 'Looky here!! This is offensive and is
corrupting LUGNET' so now everyone else within earshot has to stop and look
and add their side of the issue and it goes on and on and around and around
and drones on and it just never seems to stop (just like this sentence), to
the point where someone says, 'What were we talking about?'

Hawkeye said it best in a M*A*S*H ep, 'We're not out to clean up the world,
just our little corner of it.'

Bringing up the sandbox again, don't get in a tizzy until someone comes and
knocks over your sandcastle.  If some people want to defend their own stuff,
I support that.  So you go on about your (TM).  I don't know why that even
got folded into this debate--It's yours and you have every right to say what
you want about it.  The LEGO company sent me a letter many years ago
concerning their trademarks.  I misused their trademark in something I was
working on at the time and they heard about it.  They were polite, and they
were supportive, and they told me in no uncertain terms what the legalities
were.  I have no problem with that, after all--it's their trademark to
defend.  Why would I get angry at TLC for doing what they did?  And if you
agree with TLC, then why are you giving some people in LUGNET a hard time
when they want to do the same for their (TM)?

When someone accidentally steps on your toes, you don't blow up at them.
That doesn't do you or the person a wee bit of good.  It just causes
emotional distress to both of you and everyone else.  If it was maliciously,
and happens repeatedly, then you can say something.  Whether it involves
admins or not, that's up to you.

If it happens once?  Why get your feathers in a ruffle.  Where does it get
you?  Play the tape through 'til the end and see where you end up.  Was it
worth the effort?

Flogging dead horses doesn't work, either.  I can state emphatically that
the not-mentioned group I belong to hasn't cleaned up it's act just because
"C"ommunity "P"olicing reared it's ugly head and was offended.  Our little
corner of LUGNET is, and always has been, a pretty great group.  Yes we
stray once in a while (who doesn't) and we (community policing) took care of
whatever situation occured long before it got upgraded into hurricane CP,
and if CP didn't show up, no one would have even *known* about it and we all
would have gone along our little merry ways, all the happier because of it.
Think about that.  It has nothing to do with 'What can we get away with
before CP comes crashing in,' but rather people just being people.

Something that I personally learned a little while ago that had something to
do with sticks and stones...  Words can only hurt and/or offend if *you* let
them.  To the extreme this axiom doesn't hold true, but day to day dealings
with others, it does.

That's 'nuff from this corner of the bleachers.

Dave