 Administrative / General / 10051
Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there is a market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:01:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:

I think that each and every person has a responsibility and a right to
attempt to make LUGNET a better place.

Yes indeed. We all have a right and a responsibility to work to make LUGNET
a better place. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Let me explain this further:  Obviously we've seen instances where people
abuse a position of community policing, or they take the stance too far,
etc.  That's unfortunate.  But, there are other instances where people are
making a genuine attempt to be polite to the 'offender' and at the same time
guide them to take actions that are more appropriate or acceptable to the
LUGNET community.

The burden of correcting posters for TOS violations and off-charter postings
should NOT be put on the shoulders of the admins alone, unless that is what
they want.  At least one admin has spoken up about this:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9984

Since correcting people publicly has been blessed, I think the people who
are interested in making LUGNET a better place should discuss what methods
are more effective than others, and address the issues of negative response
to corrective posts.

For example, from my last bout, the incident with Iain Hendry positng
lewdities, I made a polite post requesting he keep the comments off of
LUGNET, and copied admin.general.  There was severe backlash from the
offender and a cohort of his, and the rtlToronto group in general took >offense.

It was suggested to me privately that the first time admin.general should
not be copied.  Attempt to correct the problem without bringing it under the
direct attention of the admins.  I agree with this sentiment.  I think its a
good idea to post a polite correction in the original group and wait for a
reply.  If the reply is positive, job well done.

Yes and here, I think, is a perfect example of this:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=14637

(last line, the guidance is in with a lot of other info in front of it)

I got a note from Paul about it thanking me for the guidance as well as the
public affirmation that was posted in response. If you (the general you the
reader) don't think it was perfect, I'd certainly welcome positive feedback
on improvement in wording or whatever.

But I have zero interest in hearing from those that think that any community
guidance is too much. Zero.

If it is negative, copy
admin and solicit the backup of an authority (by crossposting, not
necessarily by directly prompting an admin).

Another thing I note is it is not socially acceptable to the general LUGNET
populus to accept correction from another LUGNET member.  A far cry from the
beginnings of LUGNET, where most everyone knew each other and took
correction graciously if it was made politely.  Now, no matter who issues a
polite correction, they almost certainly backlash 'I don't care who you are,
you can't tell me what to do, I'll only listen to an admin.'  This is a very
destructive attitude, and it harms the sentiment of a community here.  How
to deal with this problem?

This really is the crux, I think. No matter how polite you are in your
request, if the twits come swarming out and interfere, it is difficult to
make forward progress.

But every time we go through this cycle of twit response followed by
discussion hopefully it will get better. Most of the community WANTS that
the entire burden of helping LUGNET(tm) be a more pleasant place NOT be on
the shoulders of just Suz and Todd or even on just all the admins.

As for those community members that do *not* want it, that instead
apparently want to drive Suz and Todd to nervous breakdowns from overwork,
or who (worse) want LUGNET to be an anything goes place... well, I would
question whether they really are worthy of being a part of this community.
That's not the LUGNET I signed up for.

++Lar