 Administrative / NNTP / 1028
Re: Posting Dates (Was: The Care and Feedng of Your Trademark (Was: Community Policing...))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:21:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Rob Doucette writes:
In lugnet.people, Matthew Gerber writes:
[OK...I'm going to keep my cool here, and not attack Scott, despite my
sensabilities crying out for lots of sarcasm, exclamation points and capital
letters. I'm just going to point out a couple of facts and leave it at that.
I suggest that anyone following this thread or this post NOT reply to either
it or Scott's last message. Let this stand and let the thread die.]

Scott,

You have just dug up a month old thread.

It looks like you both did.  Scott's message is dated 1-Feb, a couple of
days following the previous message, although it showed up some 8 hours ago.
If I look at the dates, you're the one holding the shovel.

I thought this NNTP date posted/approved thing was corrected.

Indeed! My most abject apologies Scott. Had I caught that error in the
posting scheme, I would never have responded as I did! Again, my apologies!
Thank you Rob, for catching that mistake.

Admins: What is the deal with this? Is it a function of the e-mail message
release system, something in the NNTP services, the server itself, or what?

Hmm, I thought it was a function of when one gets around to approving or
cancelling messages via the mail interface, *as well as* when that mail gets
delivered. Scott has in the past related that he often waits a while (up to
several days??) before approving messages. He would have to speak to whether
in this case he approved it very very late, or whether he approved it more
quickly. (in which case apparently the approval mail just got wedged
somewhere him and LUGNET or got wedged on LUGNET itself??)

++Lar