 Administrative / General / 10063
Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there is a market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:59:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Kyle Beatty wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Yes indeed. We all have a right and a responsibility to work to make LUGNET
a better place. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

This sentiment is not friendly. It is arrogant and has a stink of
martiality. It really bugs me, I'm sorry to say. I am unlikely to do any of
the above.

It may be bluntly stated, but frankly, if you are not here to work with
all the members and users of Lugnet to make Lugnet a better place, I
think you are in the wrong place.

But does blunt arrogance make Lugnet a better place?

No. But I have to give credit at least for an effort. I give more credence
and respect to those who contribute but I view an effort as noteworthy
none-the-less.

Take a look at the Lugnet plan for some of Todd's and Suzanne's original
ideas:

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/

There has been insufficient restraint so far in the cause of 'correction'.
The initial 'correction' (re ™) that caused the current brouhaha comes off
frankly oafish. I don't mean to be rude, but that was my reaction. (A crash
course on when assertion is really necessary might be in order.)

Are you implying Larry is wrong to do as the law requires and protect
his (and his associates) property?

No one is saying that. Where Larry was wrong was to ask for respect, when he
was failing to do so for others – respect is a two way street. It was 1st
rate hypocrisy. Nothing less. It can not be justified.

I didn't see anything disrespectful in the way that Larry made his
assertion. Once again, he was protecting his own assets. When Larry posted
the first reminder it was written in a gentle way (IMO) even though in
retrospect it was obviously a serious matter. He was met with impudence
(again IMO). What is the best way to deal with insolent behavior yet still
make it a postitive experience?

By the way, a two way street is OK if you are only expecting to pass someone
once...

<snip>

I have a hard time trying to explain what community means to me, and
what community building is, but I do know that Lugnet is central to the
LEGO toy fan community and that mostly online community is every bit as
real as the mostly face-to-face community I experience at my church and
related gatherings. Lugnet is not the only online community I have
participated in, I have been participating in online community for about
15 years (and I'm sure some here have participated longer).

There are people who view this community as there own personal sandpit. When
others start playing in the corner without them, or they don't like the game
they are playing they start kicking the sand about.

I like to think of it as a community sand pit. I guess that highlights the
difference that everyone has been trying to make. Is LUGNET a community
forum, or a personal forum? Since there are multiple people contributing to
the information repository as opposed to a single person (as in a personal
web site) I would say that this is a community. As such, it is the
resposiblity of the community to ensure that all who are contributing are
doing so in a constructive manner.

Others may resent the mentoring or guidance offered by members of the
community, but it must be reiterated that the guidance is intended to better
the community as a whole. Intention is coupled with judgement unfortunately,
so what is "good" for the community is up for some debate. However, there is
a wealth of experience out there to draw upon. In my opinion, when those
with experience (and/or longevity) start "kicking the sand about" there is
usually a good reason. I've only been a part of the community for 3-4 years
and this is just my own opinion, but I firmly believe that those who
contribute to the community have earned the right to mentor and guide those
who are new to ensure that the community experiences positive growth.

Is the issue _who_ is guiding LUGNET growth, or is it the _method_ with
which guidance is given?

Scott A

-Duane