 Administrative / General / 10076
Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there is a market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:16:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I think that each and every person has a responsibility and a right to
attempt to make LUGNET a better place.

Let me explain this further:  Obviously we've seen instances where people
abuse a position of community policing, or they take the stance too far,
etc.  That's unfortunate.  But, there are other instances where people are
making a genuine attempt to be polite to the 'offender' and at the same time
guide them to take actions that are more appropriate or acceptable to the
LUGNET community.

The burden of correcting posters for TOS violations and off-charter postings
should NOT be put on the shoulders of the admins alone, unless that is what
they want.  At least one admin has spoken up about this:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9984

Since correcting people publicly has been blessed, I think the people who
are interested in making LUGNET a better place should discuss what methods
are more effective than others, and address the issues of negative response
to corrective posts.

I tried to find a good place farther down the thread to tack this on, but I
couldn't; it's wandered too far from the point here.

Tim's point (and Larry's point, and Frank's point, and Dan's point, and
several other people's point) is that community policing is good, and will
happen.

It has happened.  Way back when, in the days that Lugnet was smaller, Todd
did the bulk of it.  But ya know what?  So did everyone else.  It was all
friendly (if anything, it did not go as far out of it's way to be polite as
the last few attempts have been), and no one kicked up a storm over it.

It's like cleaning the dishes with your roommates.  If you have to do all of
it, it's a royal pain.  If everyone does it, it's no big deal, and you
hardly notice.  If no one does it, the kitchen looks like a garbage can, and
it's not a good environment.

It needs to be done, and it will get done.  And just a general note for
everyone (including me, at times): don't get all huffy, and no one else will.

If you see someone posting off-topic, or pushing the TOS, don't snap at
them; post a polite note suggesting they avoid doing that again.

If someone calls you on an off-topic post or TOS-pushing, don't snap at them
to mind their own business, think about what they said, and if you disagree,
politely let them know why you think so.

Lugnet is a Good Thing.  Help keep it that way.

thanks,

James