 Administrative / General / 10251
Re: Posting Dates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Gerber writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Rob Doucette wrote:
I thought this NNTP date posted/approved thing was corrected.

I don't see it as broken. The date of a message is the date it was
composed. The date it was posted is unimportant, imo.

That would only be true if the message somehow just showed up where it
belonged in line. If it posts as a new message 28 days later, it is highly
confusing. This instance has proven that. Besides, it is a disservice to the
users to have their messages lag a month behind the intended date...think of
it as a customer service issue.

This is a very rare occurance, but it is a known problem. Is there a solution?

Oops...ought to clarify for readers that this is a web interface problem.
Obviously those having the messages delivered via newsgroup or e-mail would
not see this as a new message...it would just show up by date where it
belongs in their e-mail/news reader.

?? Wouldn't it show up in their mail on the day it actually got posted
rather than the day it was sent, queued up and was intended to be posted?

A mail interface person who didn't closely check the date on the mail, or a
newsreader person reading "new" messages who didn't closely check the date
on the mail for that matter, would be theoretically as likely to be confused
by this as a web interface person would.

Were I proposing an elaborate technical solution I would suggest that some
sort of sanity check be carried out... if LUGNET determined that "some time"
had went by between the date on the message and the day that it was at the
time that it would be posted, it could mail it back to the originator and
ask if it was truly still desired that it be posted

But I'm not proposing such a solution as I suspect it raises more problems
than it solves.