 Administrative / Financial / *75 (-75)
  Re: Marketplace / BrickShops was:[Charter Change for market.buy-sell-trade]

(...) So are you saying that you would like to have two seperate accounts? One for your custom model kits and the other for your parts shop on Bricklink? I do not see that as a problem, if you are willing to pay for both accounts in essence doubling (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.finance)

LUGNET Admin wrote in message ... (...) nifty (...) lugnet.admin.finance (...) just (...) I like this idea, it looks interesting! How would you decide what "a shop" is? Individual Bricklink stores vs Bricklink itself, for instance... or like I have (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.finance)

  Marketplace / BrickShops was:[Charter Change for market.buy-sell-trade]

(...) Okay, I made a quick mock-up. This isn't a fully developed concept... I just want to give you some idea of what I meant in previous post. (URL) some number of shops would have ads surrounding their own posting area. How visitors found a (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Looking good

(...) "Neal":-) whom I met a BricksWest runs a T-shirt printing (...) -John (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Looking good

Suz, and anyone else reading this, There are probably enough fans with enough different jobs that some services and products could be greatly reduced from "normal" costs to greatly enhance the profit margin. For example, John (last name?) whom I met (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: A few ideas

Actually, if your company was web based an had more than 15 employees, you couldn't make it with Banner adds and other variable courses of funding. If your company was a popular (definition to this is ellusive) web based company and you had 15 or (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: LUGNET monetization ideas (was new newsgroup)

HELLO.... hello... h e l l o... h e l l o.... (echo), Did anyone read Ashley's ideas? Some these are gems. I especially like the raffle idea. I didn't know other sites were raffleing things off. I personally would love a shot at a major set for a (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Advertising Subpage

One of the ideas mentioned in a previous threads was the possibility of banner ads in a format similiar to the back pages of a magazine. Several used game reseller sites use that very same idea like this page of links at Bartertown.com. (URL) while (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Charter Change for market.buy-sell-trade and market.brickshops

(...) Okay, I'm reading up on this now. I still have to discuss it with Todd, who'll make any changes to charters, so give me a couple days. Meanwhile, I'll also mention (just in case this makes anyone reconsider their stance) that, waaaay long (...) (22 years ago, 14-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: LUGNET LEGO set...

Haha! Actually Eric, the idea has merit, if we can get by the "initial cash outlay" you mention. ...But as for icky ideas, maybe we could start an ABS recycling program and finally find a way to make profitable use of broken elements and those (...) (22 years ago, 12-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Looking good

(...) Well, for the third time since moving to South Carolina, my cable modem is quite firmly -down- (writing from pub.lib again). On Saturday afternoon, someone from RoadRunner will check it out. Just wanted to let you guys know. :-[ Yesterday I (...) (22 years ago, 12-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  LUGNET LEGO set...

This may be a little far fetched but... How about getting a LUGNET LEGO set made. Maersk does it, Velux did it, among others. You could then sell the set on LUGNET (or elsewhere) for profit. The biggest problem with this idea that I can see is the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Looking good

(...) I think you're just looking forward to a paycheque! ;) Dave (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Looking good

I'm happy to see all the positive feedback we've gotten in the first week of this newsgroup. Over 50 messages! That's great. Until now, I've resisted the temptation to post because I wanted to let conversation fly on its own. ..ok, I admit, such (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Brainstorming to Keep LUGNET Alive

(...) Good point. (...) See above comment. :-) (...) Agreed (...) This is where you make a good point. LUGNET needs money but I think it will only survive if it remains free. The above idea has a lot of merit. I would like to see it explored futher. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Brainstorming to Keep LUGNET Alive

Och! Ug! Okay, so it's after midnight here, and having only tonight (last night?) learned of this particular group, I have spent much of the last hour reading everything posted here thus far. It was one of my first (perhaps only) experiences around (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

Hi Suzanne, I am eager to see, and to brainstorm with you, ways to make a site like this profitable. If anyone deserves to make a profit and employ at LEAST one person, it is LUGNET. I have been trying for a few months to get Brickfilms.com to the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Making money AND improving Lugnet!

I've read a lot of the ideas in this group, and welcome more. I personally think that anything that tries to get the community at large to pay much more than it already does won't work for two reasons: first, it will end up driving away the very (...) (22 years ago, 9-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  noise (was: Ideas ready to be shot down)

(...) Scott: This kind of thing belongs offline. To all: Please don't clutter up newsgroups with bickering. It wastes my, and many other people's, time. -Suz Suzanne Rich LUGNET Admin (22 years ago, 9-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance, lugnet.announce)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

(...) If I understand things correctly, LUGNET can be a small C corporation and all business expenses come out of all income and the difference only is taxed. If a cost to the business is paying for the vehicles and computers of the CEO and (...) (22 years ago, 9-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  LUGNET monetization ideas (was new newsgroup)

Here are a few ways to monetize the site. This may start a flame war but here are some ideas nonetheless. 1. Accept advertising on the site. This may make some people cringe, but there's probably no better place to reach LEGO(R) enthusiasts on the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

Make that 4 attacks in three days... and I've probably read only a tiny proportion of your posts. Have you really nothing better to do? I’m certainly not going to waste time correcting the erroneous statements you make below. Scott A =+= Have you (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) I assume you meant to ask me why it should matter for me to know: (...) As for why it should matter? It shouldn't. But I find it easier to know who I'm talking to. It may help me to decide whether or not I should reply, how I should reply, or (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: Membership Math

David, I can understand most of this, but why should it matter if a person chooses to be a member or not? Scott A =+= Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet? (URL) reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

Well said Kevin, it is just a pity nobody highlighted your message. ;) Scott A =+= Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet? (URL) reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Why not just allow FUT the posters own e-mail address? Scott A (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) I guess the impetus for me would be the ability to see who's who rather than who's respected. Used to be I could recognize maybe 70% of the names on Lugnet-- now it's not so easy. Only helps me insofar as I can say "Is this person a newbie?" (...) (22 years ago, 8-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) I think a simple membership icon would be appropriate. But I am against public member ratings unless it were confined to that member's profile page. If people feel that they should be rated highly in order to be considered a "good" member this (...) (22 years ago, 7-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) or lugnet.bit-bucket???? (URL) (22 years ago, 6-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: revisiting the plan

(...) Disagree. BrickLink is making a good revenue stream by providing a subset of the Plan services in this area, without regard to eBay whatever. Commerce is more than auctions, much more. (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: revisiting the plan

(...) That's TWO awesome ideas you put in so far, Cary! (1) LOVE this idea... offload the complexity of taking orders etc and of figuring out what to order away from LD which just receives bulk orders sans retail headaches. Who bursts and ships (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: revisiting the plan

(...) Unfortunately for that plan, when eBay came into existence and prominence, the demand for the LUGNET auction services (AucZILLA) has pretty much disappeared. I don't think it would make much sense to pursue that plan anymore. A new method will (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) I think that were this idea (which I support) to be implemented, it would have to go along with a reorg of the .market groups. Certain market groups would have to be designated as *only* for ads by sellers, and the charters of the remaining (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: revisiting the plan

(...) Plan 8 puts me in mind of another possible revenue stream, which would require cooperation from LEGO Direct, but would not be outside of the realm of possibility. Grant LUGNET 'Modelshop' status. Just like the model shops in the theme parks, (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  revisiting the plan

It may be useful for people thinking about financial aspects of LUGNET to revisit the LUGNET plan, especially these sections: (URL) especially 8. Other venues have garnered some of the revenue streams at this point of course. (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance) !

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

I'm breaking my resolution here for good reason, I think. (...) We differ there only in the impact of one post, it's a good thread. I seriously posted my suggestion in the spirit of the thread, as a thought starter. I doubt it would be implemented (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) I agree. I set these points up really just to try to feed the thinking of others. That is why I have not defended them in anyway. That said, I'm happy for Chris (or others) to pop away at them as they wish. I'm also happy for others to take (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Larry, The thread you posted in was created by me to help the LUGNET community in a small way. Until your post I was very happy with the way it had grown. I count that you have now attacked me personally three times in three days on LUGNET. (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) It is a bit confusing to determine what you're doing and when, there. But I think Kevin chose on the basis of price (as in, he gets more of the fee than if he went with a comparable service) rather than ease of use. I managed to figure it out (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Oh, I dunno... I think the idea has merit. How about if users vote on how much posters have to pay? Then the posters that most users find most annoying won't get to annoy us so much unless they have very deep pockets. Heck, if this went far (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Banner ads are fine with me. I've been meaning to buy some over on Brickshelf for my store, but haven't gotten around to making an actual banner yet! If you go this route, I'd suggest doing it yourself or getting someone a little less (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Banners I could live with, but pop-ups are very bad. BANG. (...) BANG. Bad idea IMO. While clearing out a lot of the noise (good thing), this will in effect make 99% post less, so LUGNET will seem dead most times. Again, IMO. BANG. (for good (...) (22 years ago, 5-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Lunget organization

I checked with a former associate doing business law and she agreed that US regulations on non-profit organizations linked with or being users' groups of a commercial product or service is very tricky. Tax advisors would actually tell you to be (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) ... I imagine that the lurk factor is much higher. For comparison, BrickLink has over 7,700 registered members. The LUGNET Admin probably has a pretty good idea of the numbers though, based on server bandwidth and number of unique IPs. Cary (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) Interesting numbers. But I don't think the membership base will increase as fast with higher associated costs (think of a simple supply/demand graph). Remember, there is a risk that LUGNET would price itself out of business. Especially if (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Membership Math

(...) Honestly I think $250/year is quite high. I like to consider myself generous, but I still don't think I'd shell out $250/year. I could see plausibly $120/year, based on $10/month or so, but even that's pretty high. I might pay that. Maybe. I'd (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Some thoughts...

(...) Wow, what a novel and out of the box idea! As a seller, I'd do this in a minute (some of you who use BrickShelf may have noticed banner ads I bought for Milton Train Works(tm)...(1) but those run a far second in funding efficiency to the (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Some thoughts...

In lugnet.admin.finance, Rob Limbaugh writes: ... (...) ... I think this is a great idea, but why limit it to participation from LEGO? Wouldn't it be great if every BrickLink vendor, every eBay LEGO seller, every GoB member could include a GIF on (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Membership Math

I am putting together some basic guesstimate numbers for the sake of discussing the LUGNET financing topic. Please do comment. Membership Numbers: Current membership: 1,500 Membership growth per year: 500 Lurking potential members: 4,000? Income (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

In lugnet.admin.finance, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes: . A new newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance has been created for the discussion (...) I'm no professor myself, nor am I a millionaire. But if it's encouragement and ideas you want... here's some (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

(...) The membership packets were discussed recently in this thread: (URL) now that there is a finance group, a way to fund the membership packets will be figured out. Bryan (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Some thoughts...

Hello, My membership to lugnet is fairly recent. So far, I've enjoyed a great many things from this community. I've been here long enough to watch the fall of "Cool Lego Site of The Week". Also, I've read the transcript from BrickWest (several (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

You offered some really great constructive points Dave! All have merit but some seem more advantageous than others. (...) Not so “ickey” if an individual branch or sector were to take special interest! Donations needn’t necessarily have to be (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

(...) Indeed, I've heard that point before. Perhaps Suz and Todd should delegate a position of (NF) “Newbie-Facilitator” to an active individual in the community who can not only follow up upon newly acquired members and their welcome packages but (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

(...) Say! I never got my Membership Packet in the mail, either, and It's been about 9 Months. (?) Has anyone else experienced this problem? Just a question, does Lugnet send out membership packets anymore, or has this been cancelled? Just my two (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

I always told myself that I should send more than just the minimum $10, considering how much I use LUGNET. I figured that I'd send a donation every once in a while after I'd gotten my membership packet. The packet never came, so I never got around (...) (22 years ago, 4-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: A few ideas

(...) No, advertising has proven to be a very poor way of earning money. Just look at all the web sites with an advertising business model that died in the last year. Sure, you can get some money by delivering eyeballs to advertisers, but not as (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  A few ideas

Here's a few comments and ideas. It's great news that LUGNET might go commercial. With dedicated staff and paid part-timers maintaining the project it will certainly improve and grow. Some of my suggestions may go against the 'charter' for this (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

(...) I'm curious as to actual goals. Clearly the target covers basic Lugnet costs such as ISP billing. How much beyond that does it need to go before it's deemable as a worthwhile "full time" job? How many jobs does it need to create, and how many (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Sell the source

Well, okay, not the source code, but what about selling a distribution of the system? I think LUGNET is one of the best discussion boards anywhere on the internet. It has a few minor quirks, and things that I would personally like to see changed, (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) It would also keep valuable discussion down. (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) If LUGNET goes too commercial would there be trademark and copyright issues with TLC (I was thinking of brickLink) (...) If the fee was very low so as to not effect volume (5-10 cents?). There would be a problem for younger (as in kids and (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Ideas ready to be shot down

(...) Is there real money to be made with banner ads? (...) Always nice to know. (...) This would keep the debating and flaming down. (...) Interesting... but this may discourage LEGO from supporting in other ways. (...) I like this one. Would this (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Ideas ready to be shot down

Ideas ready to be shot down: 1. Perhaps a good start would be to state what is out of the question? Pop-ups anyone? Banner ads? I could live with the latter. 2. It may also be good to know what the running costs are right now, and how this will (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Annual Membership Renewal.

(...) Oops, Thanks Kyle you are correct. Eric Kingsley (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Annual Membership Renewal.

(...) <snip> (...) It does? I think you mean the letter about the charter here: (URL) Kyle (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Lunget organization

(...) Well after having looked into NELUG becoming a non-profit I can say this is a stretch at best. But IANAL so if this is something people think might be viable then they should definitely talk to a lawyer first. Eric Kingsley (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Lunget organization

Have you considered forming LUGNET into a non-profit. It might qualify as a educational organization. This might allow tax deductions and LUGNET might be able to get grants. Lester Any Business Law types out there? (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Re: Annual Membership Renewal.

(...) Well I have upped my origional fee as well but at this point I am not willing to do that. I also think that if LUGNET is going to be self sufficiant (Suz being a paid employee). Then a consistant cash flow is needed. The current membership (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Private password protected New Groups.

NELUG has actually in the last day or two discussed something to this effect but we didn't consider LUGNET as it stands today an option. NELUG has gotten so big that our off-line discussion mailing list is becoming a very high traffic area. We like (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Annual Membership Renewal.

(...) Great! I hereby declare your annual membership fee to be $10 per year. Go ahead and just send it in annually whenever you think about it during the year. That's what I've been doing since I joined up (haven't sent in 2002 yet) but I don't (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  Annual Membership Renewal.

While the idea of a $10 lifetime membership sounds nice with the caveat that members should add to their membership contribution as they feel LUGNET adds value to their experiance, this is not practical. If you want a consistant flow of cash you (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance

A new newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance has been created for the discussion and brainstorming of LUGNET financial aspects. Previously, this had simply been a webpage placeholder at (URL) one level above the Donations info page. CHARTER/PURPOSE (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.finance) !!

  ------( Terms of use for lugnet.com )------

TERMS OF USE FOR LUGNET.COM OVERVIEW AND DEFINITIONS lugnet.com ("LUGNET") is a privately owned Internet site designed and run primarily for the benefit of those who enjoy building with, discussing, collecting, buying & selling, trading, and (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

  ------( Welcome to lugnet.admin.finance )------

Welcome to lugnet.admin.finance, a LUGNET discussion group. CHARTER/PURPOSE: lugnet.admin.finance (group and hierarchy): LUGNET financial aspects: ideas, goals, fundraising, volunteering, resource procurement, etc. lugnet.admin.* (hierarchy): (...) (22 years ago, 3-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.finance)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact