 Administrative / Financial / 36
Re: Ideas ready to be shot down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Chris Maddison writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Scott Arthur writes:
Ideas ready to be shot down:

1. Perhaps a good start would be to state what is out of the question?
Pop-ups anyone? Banner ads? I could live with the latter.

Banners I could live with, but pop-ups are very bad.  BANG.

3. What about paying-per-post - high posters pay higher fees?

BANG.  Bad idea IMO.  While clearing out a lot of the noise (good thing),
this will in effect make 99% post less, so LUGNET will seem dead most times.
Again, IMO.  BANG. (for good measure)

Oh, I dunno... I think the idea has merit. How about if users vote on how
much posters have to pay? Then the posters that most users find most
annoying won't get to annoy us so much unless they have very deep pockets.
Heck, if this went far enough, people who post really useful stuff most of
the time could actually get credited a small amount in the plus column to post.

This would lead to a LUGNET with more posts by Cary Clark and Frank Filz and
less by... well, by Scott Arthur for one! (and me for another, perhaps...)
That's *got* to be a good thing.

Fun to think about for a moment, but probably never actually work. Too hard
to implement, and too much like the old detailed ratings scheme which seemed
to engender hard feelings.

However it's MORE feasible than a group publication, that's probably a non
starter due to difficulty, and likely to be a money drain rather than source
if past experience is any judge.

Regarding the BANGs...  Chris, I think in this case Scott was brainstorming
ideas. One rule of effective brainstorming is to let the ideas flow for a
while first before shooting them all down. If other posters think their
ideas are gonna get shot down right away only the most thickskinned will
post, and that's not a good idea.

Let them fly a bit first, eh?