 Administrative / Suggestions / 105
Re: Allow posting & FUT to member email
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:45:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dan Boger writes:

hmmm... does that mean we should disallow FUT set to "lugnet.general,
poster", since the "poster" will be ignored?

As an NNTP user, I'd say that poster should be allowed, since it seems to an
NNTP-way of doing things.

I wasn't suggesting we disallow "poster" FUTs, just combinations "newsgroup,
poster" FUTs

The problem with allowing FUT:poster (as pointed out before) is that web
posters get no chance to override it when they reply. You could get around
this by allowing "poster" in the "newsgroups" field too (probably only
without any other NGs), causing it to send mail rather than posting. See
also suggestion below.

- are there any NNTP clients that support that kind of thing?
actually let you reply to the group and the email?

Most allow you to specify an email in the CC, but I don't know of any that
support the text "poster" in either the NG list or the CC - you have to
specify the actual email. They only allow "poster" in the FUT. Of course,
most news clients have "reply all" or similar, which fills the NGs and puts
the poster's email in the CC.

Maybe, instead of allowing "poster" in NG, have a "CC poster" checkbox,
which is "off" by default, but "on" if FUT of the replied-to msg includes
"poster". You'd also have to allow no NGs if CC poster is "on". Maybe also
have such a checkbox on FUT, which automgically adds "poster" to the FUT.

ROSCO