 Administrative / Financial / 43
Re: Ideas ready to be shot down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:33:23 GMT

"Troy's Surplus Lego" <legosales@tcphoto.net> writes:
4. How about charging companies who post their ads here - e.g. DYA in the
past, or LD now?
5. How about charging for all market ads - e.g. posts for ebay auctions or
bricklink shops - $10 for 100 anyone?

These two seem to go together.  While not adverse to paying for advertising
(see my comments on banners above) I think this could be troublesome.  We
have a hard enough time deciding which group things go in now, I can't
imagine the headache of deciding which messages should be charged and which
not.

This touches on the content issue again.  Some people come here actually
looking for this information.  If you charge, there will be less info, thus
less people coming to look at it, thus even less people posting.  It becomes
a vicious circle.

Also, what about third party announcements?  Like the shop at home specials?
Or clearance items at Walmart / TRU?

I think that were this idea (which I support) to be implemented, it
would have to go along with a reorg of the .market groups.  Certain
market groups would have to be designated as *only* for ads by
sellers, and the charters of the remaining groups would need to have
their rules changed to prohibit such ads there.

Here's one way to do it:
* Create new groups market.ads.forsale and market.ads.auctions groups.
  Only permit posting in market.ads.* by people who have paid for the
  privilege.
* Create new group market.discuss, so that the market.ads.* groups
  would have somewhere to set followups (sort of like how you have to
  set followups currently in the announce groups).
* Replace market.buy-sell-trade with market.wanted and market.barter
  (no need to pay to post there, because you're not selling anything).
* Change the charters for all remaining market.* groups to prohibit
  announcements of items for sale.

--Bill.