 Administrative / Financial / 35
Re: Ideas ready to be shot down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:30:44 GMT

1. Perhaps a good start would be to state what is out of the question?
Pop-ups anyone? Banner ads? I could live with the latter.

Banner ads are fine with me.  I've been meaning to buy some over on
Brickshelf for my store, but haven't gotten around to making an actual
banner yet!  If you go this route, I'd suggest doing it yourself or getting
someone a little less confusing then whoever Brickshelf has.  There service
did not impress me at all.

2. It may also be good to know what the running costs are right now, and • how
this will change if LUGNET grows as planned (I accept this may be
confidential) -  i.e. what is the target??

It's always nice to know what the target is when planning to get there....

3. What about paying-per-post - high posters pay higher fees?

I think this is a very, very bad idea.  While it would certainly cut down on
the noise, it will also cut down on the signal.  High volume posters are
generally supplying valuable information, and it is that information that is
the biggest asset.  I would sure hate to ask a question and not get any
answers because people don't want to "waste" their posts.

4. How about charging companies who post their ads here - e.g. DYA in the
past, or LD now?
5. How about charging for all market ads - e.g. posts for ebay auctions or
bricklink shops - $10 for 100 anyone?

These two seem to go together.  While not adverse to paying for advertising
(see my comments on banners above) I think this could be troublesome.  We
have a hard enough time deciding which group things go in now, I can't
imagine the headache of deciding which messages should be charged and which
not.

This touches on the content issue again.  Some people come here actually
looking for this information.  If you charge, there will be less info, thus
less people coming to look at it, thus even less people posting.  It becomes
a vicious circle.

Also, what about third party announcements?  Like the shop at home specials?
Or clearance items at Walmart / TRU?

6. Is there scope for publishing an AFOL book based on our combined
knowledge? Reviews of themes/sets? Building ideas? MOCs? Reviews of LEGO
related rare objects? Weird LEGO finds and tales?

I imagine that it would take atleast one full time employee just to get all
the copyright clearances together from all the contributors.  I'd love to
see something like this put out, but I think it would be a rather large
undertaking.  I'm up for it though if this route is persued and I do have
some experience in printing / publishing.

Troy