 Administrative / Financial / 59
Re: New newsgroup lugnet.admin.finance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:14:26 GMT

Hi Suzanne,

I am eager to see, and to brainstorm with you, ways to make a site like this
profitable.  If anyone deserves to make a profit and employ at LEAST one
person, it is LUGNET.  I have been trying for a few months to get
Brickfilms.com to the point of not costing me any more money.  As more and
more people visit, and especially on days where news articles or web pages
come out featuring your site, it becomes a necessity to upgrade hosting
space, get DNS stuff, etc.  That, and a lot of tiem to maintain content.

One thing we have in common is the participation of an active community that
provides most of the contest of our sites.  In mine, it is the film-makers
that make and psot movies.  In yours, it is the fans who provide wonderful,
active discussions, as well as great resources like the set guides
(especially that popup reference), the price watches, the mosaic, and other
great stuff.  But it takes a lot to manage all this.

The obvious first thing you think of is selling web space to advertisers.
I'm sure you've thought of this.  Another is memberships.  Another is donations.

What I ask myself is, how do contest sites like the Onion and Salon amke
money?  Most of it seems to be with ads.  But The Onion made a lot of extra
dough by releasing books.

As the authority on online LEGO fans, maybe LUGNET could leverage this
expertise, or at least resource, as THE place to go for LEGO fan news and
discussion.  Is a fun book deal in order?  Maybe think of other merchndiing
opportunities (and t-shirts do not cut it... I have sold a few dozen and
netting a big whopping $40 or so.. that doesn't even pay for DNS renewal).

I guess the obstacle to overcome is that on the internet, people WILL NOT
pay for what they can get for free.  People will thank you, write you tons
of fan email, put you in the New York Times, and other nice treats, but when
it comes to opening up their wallets, they are very reluctant.  So hwo do
you overcome this?

I'd love to have this discussion, either here or via email.

Regards,

Jason Rowoldt
Founder/Webmaster Brickfilms.com, and also huge LUGNET fan
www.brickfilms.com

brickfilms_removethisandtheunderlinestoemailme_@yahoo.com