 Administrative / Financial / 52
Re: Membership Math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:01:52 GMT

David,
I can understand most of this, but why should it matter if a person chooses
to be a member or not?

Scott A

=+=
Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=scotta

"A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable
man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." (GBS)
=+=

In lugnet.admin.finance, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Kevin Salm writes:
I think a simple membership icon would be appropriate.  But I am against >public member ratings unless it were confined to that member's profile page.
If people feel that they should be rated highly in order to be considered a
"good" member this may turn some people off. The number of posts a person
makes does not necessarily make them a good member worthy of a better rating.

I guess the impetus for me would be the ability to see who's who rather than
who's respected. Used to be I could recognize maybe 70% of the names on
Lugnet-- now it's not so easy. Only helps me insofar as I can say "Is this
person a newbie?" "Is s/he a member?" "Has this person been around long
enough to remember X?" "Has this person been around longer than I have?"
etc. But I certainly understand the downside to such a system insofar as
people feeling "rated". I'd still find it useful, though. Just $.02...

DaveE