 Administrative / Financial / 49
Re: Membership Math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:35:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Kevin Salm writes:
I think a simple membership icon would be appropriate.  But I am against >public member ratings unless it were confined to that member's profile page.
If people feel that they should be rated highly in order to be considered a
"good" member this may turn some people off. The number of posts a person
makes does not necessarily make them a good member worthy of a better rating.

I guess the impetus for me would be the ability to see who's who rather than
who's respected. Used to be I could recognize maybe 70% of the names on
Lugnet-- now it's not so easy. Only helps me insofar as I can say "Is this
person a newbie?" "Is s/he a member?" "Has this person been around long
enough to remember X?" "Has this person been around longer than I have?"
etc. But I certainly understand the downside to such a system insofar as
people feeling "rated". I'd still find it useful, though. Just $.02...

DaveE