 Administrative / Financial / 51
Re: Membership Math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:58:47 GMT

Well said Kevin, it is just a pity nobody highlighted your message. ;)

Scott A

=+=
Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=scotta

"A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable
man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." (GBS)
=+=

In lugnet.admin.finance, Kevin Salm writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Andreas Stabno writes:

Maybe people can be recognized for their membership level with some
type of icon next to their posts, as in the Bricklink or eBay system.

I like that-- though (going into suggestion-box area) I'd also like to see a
member-rating sort of thing reflecting how long you've been a member, your
posting frequency, etc. I dunno.

DaveE

I think a simple membership icon would be appropriate.  But I am against public
member ratings unless it were confined to that member's profile page.

If people feel that they should be rated highly in order to be considered a
"good" member this may turn some people off.  The number of posts a person
makes does not necessarily make them a good member worthy of a better rating.
Some folks have a lot to say and say it frequently but the value of that to the
rest of us may be low.  Conversely, someone who posts very minimally may
provide valuable and useful information or have ideas that are excellent.

Good content is what is important to me.  Not a rating.
I read Lugnet daily and know just about everything that goes on here.  But I
only participate when I have something valuable to add.  I like reading
messages that have good content and do not enjoy controversy or random,
unorganized thoughts.  I am not about to increase my discussion participation
just to boost a silly rating and hope that no one else would do that, either.

I think it would be fair to say that most of us are here at Lugnet for fun and
information about our wonderful hobby/lifestyle.  Not to be judged or graded
with the results for all to see.

__Kevin Salm__
....Still the biggest fan of the Gray Lego brick....

.