 Administrative / Financial / 70
Re: A few ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:57:05 GMT

Actually, if your company was web based an had more than 15 employees, you
couldn't make it with Banner adds and other variable courses of funding. If
your company was a popular (definition to this is ellusive) web based company
and you had 15 or fewer employees and at least two of them did nothing but sell
banner adds to potential advertisers, your still in business.

This was a report done by some researchers at Georgia Tech (I think) about what
it takes to be a successful Dot.Com in business.

The take home message was keep the company small, the web site simple and pinch
your pennies. One example, Google.com.

Todd

By the way Furniture.com was the stupidist idea of the century, this one and
the last one.

In lugnet.admin.finance, William R. Ward writes:
"Rich" <rjenkins@dailypress.com> writes:
Having an annual fee is a fine idea.  Perhaps even better would be three
levels of service:  FREE, allowing the user access to some of the LUGNET
resources; MEMBERS ONLY, which is where we are now; and PREMIUM, for which
the user has to pay an annual fee.  Just what these categories entail is up
to the admins.  I'd go for premium, just because I want to support LUGNET.
The reality of it is, the BIG money isn't with us users, it's with the
advertisers.

No, advertising has proven to be a very poor way of earning money.
Just look at all the web sites with an advertising business model that
died in the last year.  Sure, you can get some money by delivering
eyeballs to advertisers, but not as much as was hoped for a couple of
years ago when web advertising was just starting off.  Pay-per-click
is just about impossible to find, and that means the people who click
on the ads have to actually *buy* something for the ad to pay.  When
was the last time you bought something through a banner ad?  Honestly?

However, some money can be made by advertising, and I have no great
objection to it as long as it isn't too obnoxious - pop-up ads are
evil but a quiet banner ad at the top of each page wouldn't bother me.

I think that part of the premium, and perhaps the members-only service
as well, should be "no ads".  That will encourage certain people who
abhor ads to join at a higher level, and allow them to avoid seeing
the ads.

--Bill.