 Administrative / Financial / 55
54  |  56
Subject:
LUGNET monetization ideas (was new newsgroup)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 07:17:46 GMT

Here are a few ways to monetize the site.  This may start a flame war but
here are some ideas nonetheless.

1.  Accept advertising on the site.  This may make some people cringe, but
there's probably no better place to reach LEGO(R) enthusiasts on the web.
Additionally, LEGO fans probably also fall into some other significant niche
categories that would be appealing to advertisers.

2.  Charge a nominal subscription fee to use LUGNET.  Follow a value model
that is super-cheap, like, $1 month or similar.  Make it easy to say yes and
easy to pay. Time delay the site by three days or so for all non-paying
users and block certain areas for non-subscribers.  Sure, the site would
lose many users but not everyone.

3.  Reinforce the membership concept.  The original "make a donation"
concept may have been too loose.  Do the public tv thing and hold a pop-up
window fund raiser with easy links to paypal or similar.  Make these
obnoxious for a few weeks of the year or at random times throughout the
month, quarter, etc.

4.  Charge for the detailed reference information and items like
BrickWise(TM), or work out a revenue share program with the owners of the
data.  This is the model followed by many sites and sites like Consumer Reports.

5.  Ask LEGO (once again) to help fund the site.  Ask them what it would
take to make the site more attractive and fund-worthy.

6.  Create significant online polls and/or conduct online research that
would be attractive to toy retailers and offer this data for sale.  This
would not make a lot of money by any means, but it would be more funding,
nonetheless.

7.  Since your roots are in auctions and selling, return to these roots in a
modern way and revitalize the AucZilla(TM) concepts, but by using other
people's bricks like the Ebay or Bricklink model.

8.  Sell niche discussion groups on LUGNET.  I for one, would love to see a
Microfig area.  I would be willing to pay a small fee (less than $10)to have
this area created. This would allow me to take ownership of a niche topic I
think is worthwhile and would compensate you for the time needed to create it.

9.  Create a rotating supply of new and unique LUGNET merchandise and sell
it via the myriad of trinket companies.

10.  Kick off a fund-raising, collective book project.  Create the biggest
and best LEGO idea book on the planet.  Have persons on LUGNET contribute
model ideas, instructions, drawings, tips, etc.  Persons would donate their
ideas and waive their rights to any profiteering in favor of all proceeds
going to LUGNET.  The contributors would benefit by seeing themselves
published in a real book in a real bookstore (and via credits and
Bibliography).  No other site has the talent available to pull of this feat.
I think many would be willing to contribute to this concept.  This would be
similar to the school cookbook concept, except much bigger, and available
through national distribution channels.  Sure, LEGO would mostly benefit
from this book, but so would LUGNET.

11.  I do not know about the legal ramifications associated with this, but
it would seem as though a perpetual raffle would generate money.  For
instance, $1 for a chance to win a MISB monorail in May, $1 for a chance to
win a Yellow Castle in June, $1 for a chance to win MISB Main Street in
July, etc.  Again, I don't know how so many sites do this, but they seem to
pull it off at churches, carnivals, etc. without any problem.

Of course, the site will have to be kept fresh with new content all the time
if one is to pay.

Anyhow...a few ideas to ponder and debate.
Ashley