 Administrative / Financial / 82
Re: LUGNET monetization ideas (was new newsgroup)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:54:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Todd Thuma writes:
One idea I would added is having a university sponsor the connection. I
don't know if this is even possible and it would probably need to be done
by someone that works at a university networking unit, but as I understand
it, LUGNET resides on a server that needs plugged into power and the
Internet. A university might be willing to help out with connection.

The bandwidth and server co-location actually aren't all that expensive,
because we serve mostly HTML pages rather than tons of large images.  It's
the human time that's the main factor.

I have no idea the access volume that LUGNET takes a hit on each month, or
day for that matter. Are these stats made known the community?

There aren't any scripts that display the information periodically like
the info in lugnet.admin.statistics, no.  But to give you an idea of recent
web traffic:  This month, the website is serving up approximately 150,000
page views per day, consisting of approximately 500,000 raw hits per day,
totalling approximately 2,000,000,000 bytes per day of outgoing web
bandwidth.

--Todd