 Off-Topic / Debate / 6685
6684  |  6686
Subject:
The Friendliest Site On The Internet. (Was Re: A little self examination?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:17:16 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...

I can see your concern but I wouldn't really worry about it.  Although I • didn't
participate in the thread yesterday I did read it.  To me responding to • such
posts is like throwing water on a grease fire and thats why I have come to
avoid them.  In my experiance people like Matthew are just out for
attention
0>and if you ignore them they eventually go away.  I know that is hard if
not
impossible for many of you especially seeing the very inappropriate attacks
Matthew made here on LUGNET and the inappropriate graphic on his site but • for
me ignoring him does more to solve the problem then responding to him.

While I would agree that ignoring someone rude is preferable to flaming
them, how about actually treating them with politeness! This is what I did,
and immediately I got results:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6617
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8003

Personally I think the flame war would have ended then and there if it
weren't for a few still-angry people who made little or no effort to be
polite or friendly. Disappointingly, only one of them was Matthew.

"LUGNET... has been called "the friendliest place on the Internet.""

That's on the VERY FRONT of this site. Don't we have an obligation to uphold
its sentiment?

Hey what happened was unfortunate but I wouldn't go out trying to stop it. • It
will happen again and there is basically nothing any of us can do about it • sort
of dealing with the problem when it happens.  At some point in the future • there
will be someone that wasn't around when this conversation took place and • will
act irresponsibly its just human nature.

The key, I feel is to stay friendly. Unfriendliness does not _deserve_ to be
responded with unfriendliness! That, if anything is the vicious cycle that
feeds the flame war.

So I wish people wouldn't worry about it.  I think the community in general • is
great and people like this arn't going to make me leave.  I just tune them • out
and hope in time they will come around (I have seen this happen).

Frankly, I wonder just how many people actually _know_ that it happened. Did
it ever crop up in any NGs other than .space, .off-topic.debate, and
.admin.general?

Well what happend yesterday was all Matthew but like I said earlier, it • will be
someone else tomorrow, next month, or next year.

Sorry, but it was NOT all Matthew by any stretch of the imagination. If
people had admonished Matthew using a friendlier tone the flame war would
never have happened. Go back and look at the thread in .space, it's plainly
obvious that people were distinctly unfriendly, and at times, even more
childish than Matthew was. It was very, very disappointing to see.
The real surprise was that these people, Matthew included, were much, much
friendlier, more reasonable and conciliatory when responding to me in
private emails. When I look back at it, it's obvious why - it's because I,
personally, was polite to _them_!
Can you imagine how quickly and quietly Matthew's original comment would
have blown over if more people had been like this? The mind boggles!

Its not something we can
avoid its just something we have to deal with.  Sure things like that will • make
some people leave if they just can't deal with it but for the most part we • will
all stay and within a couple of months forgive and forget that it happened.

Peace all...

Nice theory but not likely in our lifetime :-).

I believe it's easily achievable here, as long as we all make an effort to
be more FRIENDLY. Yes, even to rude and immature people.

LUGNET has been called "the friendliest place on the Internet".  Let's all
work to maintain our reputation.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164