 Off-Topic / Debate / 6706
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Everyone is
free to be famous here, just as everyone is free to participate.
Elitism, in my mind, is not allowing people to participate who is not a
famous one.

The point here is, if someone is distinguishable from the crowd by
anything he/she perform that relates to the founding purpose of the
community, he/she will be famous than the other participants of the
community. If you are distinguishable, then naturally you are rare, and
rare means "not for everyone". People should accept this. I know my
level of contribution, I know my level of dedication, so I'm happy with
my level of "popularity". Most of my messages went without any replies,
but who cares. I'm one of the most veteran members of Lugnet, but I'm
not so popular around. Many people might even wonder when they see my
member number (#4) who is this guy?

You might be surprised.... For instance (correct me if I am wrong!), you have a
good sense of humor, you are a cat person, and IIRC it was you who recently
made that utterly charming statement about not knowing enough offensive words
to be able to adequately express yourself in English.

And I'm not a particularly observant person.  You can imagine what someone more
observant than I picks up from reading Lugnet posts, even those not written by
the most vocal and conspicuous among us.  (Just because a post doesn't get a
reply doesn't mean it hasn't been noticed by many!)

In brief, I believe our community is not an elitist one in its current
form. And I wish this will continue like that.

Agreed!

Maggie C.