 Off-Topic / Debate / 6759
Re: Social Engineering (was: Re: The Friendliest Site On The Internet. (Was Re: A little self examination?))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:35:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:
I must say I can't think of a place, either on or off line, where that
kind of "social engineering" WOULD sit well. He must be quite used to
being run out of groups on a rail...

I have a question (for anyone) about the phrase "Social Engineering."  In
your experience, does the phrase automaticaly imply causing disruptions,
flamewars, etc. or can SE be done in quiet, civil ways?  If the ToS for the
discussion groups were changed so that SE was explicitly disallowed, would
it be clear what that meant.  (OK, it would probably need a couple examples,
but would it be ambiguous or unambiguous?)

I think "Social Engineering" can mean many things. You can really only define
it by its aim.

Scott A

And is someone who practicies "Social Engineering" typically referred to as
an "SE hacker"?

--Todd