 Off-Topic / Debate / 6675
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:17:36 GMT

"Jude Beaudin" <shiningblade@home.com> wrote in message
news:G2ovu8.n12@lugnet.com...
LUGNET has over 500 members and more participants than that. It is • impossible
for the Larry's, Todd's, Tim's, Suz's, and others to get to know each and
every one in a personal manner. Yet these leaders [2] are part of • everyone's
lives. We share the parts of their lives that they show us.

Regardless of 'leader' status, I think that the good thing here is that we
can get to know each other personally through LUGs, etc.  You're right,
people of any position can't get to know everyone, but also average users
can't accomplish that task either.  I find that I have a lot of people who I
do know for various reasons, whether it be CAD, I've met them at a Legofest,
or just from random discussion.  There's probably 20-30 people on Lugnet I
do know well outside the context of the group - and probably half of that
who I know well in person.

Yes, we're all sharing a part of our lives by what we contribute here.  We
unfortunately get a better perspective on it when someone passes away - like
James and Gary Louie.

Personally I would like to contribute in a positive manner to the • community
but it seems all the choice spots are already taken by individuals like • Todd,
Kevin Loch, Tim Courtney, Steve Bliss, etc. I would love to learn to • create
new Ldraw elements and further my Lcad Model collection (which is • happening
slowly). But I must say it is hard for a newbie to get actively involved; • in
that it is like trying to get into a moving car.

I think that we've seen something like the .com businesses reflected on a
smaller scale here in the community - that those who were there to do the
big things early on got in, and now they may be so comprehensive that
others' efforts may fizzle before snowballing.

But!!  That doesn't mean you can't make that positive impact here.  You want
to create LDraw parts, go for it!!  Get involved and do different things
here, try your hand at what you like.  People will respect you for
contributing, and you never know where it can take you.

And most people do not have
the aggressive personality to break in like Shiri Dori for example. Thus • we
need to do something in regards to making it easier to participate.

LOL!  Knowing Shiri in person fairly well, I wouldn't characterize her as an
aggressive personality ;-)

...wait, then again there was Brickfest.  <gdr>

[3] One idea I have is a new LUGNET group like lugnet.newbie or something.
This group would be a non-topic group that anyone can post to and just get • to
know one another. It can also be used by individuals who do not understand
where to post things (Shiri can then redirect them :-). Of course there • would
have to be rules such as a zero tolerance in flaming even is followed up • in
another group and no market advertising i.e. auctions. It would then be • the
responsibility of everyone to participate.

Good idea for a group - something to transition people from civilian life to
Lugnet life ;)

Even if this does not come into being, we need to each take a little time • and
find the newbies and make sure they are encouraged. A simple reply can go • a
long way in brightening up someone's day.

Yep.  This old timer gets a bit bummed even when he doesn't get replies -
how much more of a positive impact would a cheerful reply have on a newbie?
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne