 Off-Topic / Debate / 6662
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:
[snip for time's sake - test in 40 minutes :\ ]

Being a community, besides from the rules, also has its own natures.
Every community has its famous people, i.e. "unofficial leader types". • [snip]
Everyone
free to be famous here, just as everyone is free to participate.
Elitism, in my mind, is not allowing people to participate who is not a
famous one.

You hit it right on here.  I don't think we see very much not allowing certain
people to participate based on their status in the community, and I think that
we are pretty strong for it.  Everyone in this group is pretty much given
equal opportunity to participate, and if they're so inclined, rise above the
masses with something exceptional they have to offer, whether its MOCs, a
website resource, finances, etc.

Of course not all the people, actually most of the people here including
me, has not enough means to be famous, some don't have the time, some
don't have the money, some don't have the courage, some don't mind to be
one. As I always said, Lego is not the purpose of my life, just as for
most of the others I think, it's just a spare time fun.

Different strokes for different folks.  I understand where you're coming
from.  For me, Lego is almost a way of life, and what I do on Lugnet is almost
a way of life.  (I'm not making a judgment call on whether or not that action
is healthy or not right now).  I hope to turn this into something more as
things progress with the community and go through school.  I've kept contact
with TLC, etc, and hope to do some stuff for them, yadda yadda.  In a sense, I
need to do what I have been doing for those inroads.

The other point should made be clear that, I'm strongly against any
forced "leadership" or "popularity", which is the true elitism. Let the
popularity and or leadership go naturally. I objected before to both
"Lugnet Police Force" and "article rating" issues only for this reason.

Yep.

In addition to this, communities might have some touchy subjects. Ldraw
is one of the examples to our touchy subjects. I clearly remember that I
had been flamed in L-CAD mailing list (before Lugnet) since just I
talked about changing the naming convention of Ldraw parts. But I didn't
feel that this is some alienating approach from the veterans, I reworded
my complaints, that it had been accepted.

Its all in the approach when you're calling for change.  The first time I
suggested ldraw.org publicly, I was even flamed right away.

In brief, I believe our community is not an elitist one in its current
form. And I wish this will continue like that.

After reading opinions on this, I believe the same.  I do think that everyone
here could stand to be a bit nicer to each other, and a bit more accepting to
other ideas for how things could be done, to newbies, etc.  This will help
foster better relationships for the community and bring us closer together -
and hopefully translate into some cool real life experiences.

I for one have met many people through Lugnet in person, and a handful of them
have become really good friends of mine.  I'm greatful for that.  I'm also
greatful that those people get to see me for who I am, rather than for what I
do.  And I'm glad that I get to see them for the same.

-Tim