 Off-Topic / Debate / 6754
Re: The Friendliest Site On The Internet. (Was Re: A little self examination?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:22:33 GMT

I don't believe it's a higher level anything, and to call it a meta-game
romanticizes it beyond the point of useful discussion.

I don't know what else to call it.  Any suggestions?

There are many in the
community who "get" what he was trying to do--you're one of them, Todd; I
believe Larry is also, and I'm pretty sure I am (just to name a few)--we
"get" it, but we don't buy into it.

I really only "got" what he was trying to do after he explained it carefully.
I played into his trap.  Any others that come to mind?

BTW, I can see that you get it.

Say, do you remember "Mandroid" in RTL about 4 years ago?  I dug up a passage
from archives tonight that he/she posted -- it went like this:

   "While I empathize completely with you, surely you have been hanging
    around rec.toys.lego long enough to realize that the MAJOR FUNCTION of
    this group is the obnoxious pursuit of capitol gain."

Kinda sounds like the same kind of social engineering.  People called Mandroid
a troll but some pointed out that there was always some twisted shred of truth
in what he wrote which allowed him to irk people enough to learn enough about
them to irk them more.  I don't know if he (I'm assuming Mandroid was a he)
ever achieved his objectives -- they weren't obvious and I suppose they would
be hard to measure even if they were obvious.  I suppose he moved on when he
finally achieved whatever it was that he wanted to achieve.

--Todd

p.s.  Did Mandroid ever tell anyone his real name?