 Off-Topic / Debate / 6657
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:31:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
This whole thing has gotten me thinking -- Matthew was out to prove a point,
right?  Matthew is also a jerk and has serious problems, right.  But, just
because he carried himself *very* poorly here doesn't mean he might not have
something valuable to say to us.  I'm just trying to think if there's
anything about this community that is out of whack, like he suggested.

Ok...I occasionally babble, I'm long winded (and unrepentently so...), and I
am a fanataical advocate of commonly disparaged themes.  That's my
contribution to the wackiness of this community... (hey, every village needs
an idiot or madman)

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the whole deal - someone who has
slipped away from Lugnet intentionally but unnoticed.  That person feels
that the community is elitist, and from that person's perspective I
understand.  They feel that when they post here people ignore them, that
they're a good candidate to kill a thread, etc.  I don't like it that my
friend has had that experience here.

A couple of anecdotes for you...

I had a friend who was Hip-hop DJ that used to love "breakin' out the
bricks" for a couple hours after we would get back from consuming adult
beverages at the local club.  He would always make comments to me about not
lettin "the crew" (our other drinkin buddies) know that he liked to build
spaceships when he was intoxicated.  He admitted to having a Lego stash that
he would hide from his roomate and girlfriend.  In a phone conversation, I
told him about Lugnet.  In a subsequent conversation he said, "it's cool and
a little weird" that there are ALOT of Lego builders and websites devoted to
Lego and that people spend so much time building.  He commented that he was
a little embarassed being almost 30 and liking the same toys as his son. In
reference to LUGNET, he said, "hey, I like Star Trek too, but I am not a
Trekkie...those people scare me"  Ultimately, Lego is a guilty pleasure for
him and he feels no compulsion/passion to do more than play a little and
look at some pics.

Locally, I know a guy that is an avid builder, but he is very private, kinda
stubborn, and has no desire to really become part of an on-line group.  I
pointed him towards LUGNET and he was thrilled to go through the mech and
space links.  He likes pictures, but could care less about ANYTHING else.
He thinks discussing Lego is like watching sports... If you can go outside
and do it, why watch someone else.  He also commented that building a
website probably too much longer than building anything you would put on it.
A quote "If you are gonna build, BUILD!  Don't just talk about it" (this led
to a lengthy spirited discussion about the merits of sharing ideas)

In these 2 cases, the people had different priorities and LUGNET did not
fulfill their needs... will it ever, maybe...time will tell.  Lugnet was not
elitist per se, it just didn't meet their needs.  Overall, I have pointed
dozens of auction winners and acquaintences towards Lugnet, 90% of which
have viewed it as a Godsend.  Some others have commented that they lurk on
LUGNET because:

They only like to build/collect sets+ not create MOCs
They don't have a huge collection
They don't have a digicam or a website
They don't wish to "compete for attention"
They believe LUGNET is primarily a "U.S. thing"
Too many others know much more about Lego than they do

SNIP

I certainly don't want to see anyone hurt
by this group of people.  Unfortunately we had a very upstanding member of
this group leave a couple weeks ago from frustrations.

So I open it up for thoughts on the issue, and am willing to discuss and
examine just the same myself.  Anyone?

Ok to discuss this issue and elitism consider a few points:

Do you value one member's opinion above another?

Do you read certain posts in a thread because "todd" or someone else wrote it?

Are you skeptical of strangers?

Do you rate the opinions, MOCS, etc. of established members higher than
"newbies" or "right" or "better"?

Do you seek approval of one individual or group over another?

Are you disappointed if no one comments on your post in a thread?

Do you think some members get preferrential treatment?

Do you think a group or person excludes or discourages other individals or
groups?

Do you like to interact w/ likeminded indviduals or groups?

There are many more related questions, but these are just a few.  I can
honestly say YES to all of the above since I have been on LUGNET.

For my part...

I will always look at a craigo creation (because I have been impressed by
his work)

I try to catch all of the posts in . Pirates  from Lndsay (because I learn
something) and Richard Parsons because I like the dry wit and interesting
pictures

I will value some opinios over other because they are consistent or
insightful (Gary Istok's commentary on elements)

I cringed when I saw matt posts here because i remember the flame war that
buried rtl as a viable discussion forum and brought me here

I think some members are worshipped, coddled, and praised... some have
earned a place of respect due to their contributions and knowledge (which is
the natural order of things) and some have endeared themselves to the masses.

   I believe that is the nature of groups and group interactions.  Every
community has various components, factions, leaders, followers, etc. The
United States is 1 country with 50 seperate divisions which are further
subdivided into counties,cities, towns, neighboorhoods, citizens, etc.
LUGNET is an on-line community of Lego enthusiasts with how many sub-groups,
themes, clubs, etc?  I can say the same thing about my family, my church,
the local pub, or my neighborhood.  The essence of which is the desire of
one person to share with other likeminded individuals.  Elites, cliques,
clubs become a natural evolution. Life ain't fair, Schtick happens, and
contrary to some beliefs, everyone does not necesarily like everyone else.

  However, that does not mean that we should ignore the contributions of
others or disrespect them.  Why not offer encouragement to "newbies"?  Why
not be open minded?  Why not act as a community? (say Hello to the aussies
or read .space instead of just castle once in awhile.)

I think their has been an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING evolution/revolution in
building in the past couple years.  This may both encourage and discourage
others.  "newbies" and "de-lurkers" have been coming out of the woodwork for
quite awhile.  Why not foster a friendly environment that kindles a passion
in the ambivalent or says "come on in and sit awhile"?  (I  don't mean 12
steps, group therapy, "let's all hug" and cume-baya here folks... I would be
the first to hurl = )

And someone slap me if I'm crazy.  I'm writing this because I think that
what we saw yesterday was pretty serious, and if the community has anything
to do with it I'd like to see that change.  If it was all Matthew and
whatever he was smoking, that's all fine and dandy I s'pose.

Peace all...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

In reference to the Matt issue... My objections were to the antagonistic
manner in which he presented himself.  I think critique and commentary are
essential elements of this hobby, but he approached the process in a
negative/destructive way.  I don't wish to ban criticism, debate, or
discussion in favor, I just think we can do it in a positive+friendly way.

The Ultimate lesson of Matt Moulton can be a positive one...

THE STRENGTH OF LUGNET IS THAT IT IS A COMMUNITY...
The fact that the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts is evident
here.  Why not rejoice in it?  That which Matt sought to destroy may yet
become stronger from his passing.

                    John

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne