 Off-Topic / Debate / 6651
6650  |  6652
Subject:
A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:08:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This whole thing has gotten me thinking -- Matthew was out to prove a point,
right?  Matthew is also a jerk and has serious problems, right.  But, just
because he carried himself *very* poorly here doesn't mean he might not have
something valuable to say to us.  I'm just trying to think if there's
anything about this community that is out of whack, like he suggested.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the whole deal - someone who has
slipped away from Lugnet intentionally but unnoticed.  That person feels
that the community is elitist, and from that person's perspective I
understand.  They feel that when they post here people ignore them, that
they're a good candidate to kill a thread, etc.  I don't like it that my
friend has had that experience here.

One thing we all know, this is a *community* and communities are made up of
people with vastly differing opinions and backgrounds.  Different tastes,
levels of tolerance, etc.  We've seen a pretty bad case here demonstrated
yesterday.  I doubt anyone currently in the community would repeat such
actions.  But something must have triggered that, whether it was Matthew's
own personal problem, his genuine experience with the people a few years
ago, or a combination of both.  I'm just asking myself out loud what might
be our problem, if we have one.  I certainly don't want to see anyone hurt
by this group of people.  Unfortunately we had a very upstanding member of
this group leave a couple weeks ago from frustrations.

So I open it up for thoughts on the issue, and am willing to discuss and
examine just the same myself.  Anyone?

And someone slap me if I'm crazy.  I'm writing this because I think that
what we saw yesterday was pretty serious, and if the community has anything
to do with it I'd like to see that change.  If it was all Matthew and
whatever he was smoking, that's all fine and dandy I s'pose.

Peace all...
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne