 Off-Topic / Debate / 6673
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:49:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
Ok...I occasionally babble, I'm long winded (and unrepentently so...), and I
am a fanataical advocate of commonly disparaged themes.  That's my
contribution to the wackiness of this community... (hey, every village needs
an idiot or madman)

Hey don't worry about it - I personally enjoy your posts anyways :)

Aye.  And remember, this is a discussion forum.  Some very good posts don't
lend themselves to further discussion, and so don't get much (or any)
follow-up.  And some very crummy posts get tons of followup.

In my niche here (CAD) there are a lot of times I'll value the opinion of a
long time contributor over that of a newbie - because I know and trust the
person.  Not that it's right.

Not that it's wrong either.  Trust is an important issue.  I don't have
time to sit down and thouroughly process through everything posted on
LUGNET.  I depend a lot on familiarity with the people I'm reading messages
from, or responding to.  This can make it harder for new people to 'break
in', but it's not impossible.

Communication skills help a lot.  If a post shows very poor communication
skills, it's going to take more to get me to pay attention to it.  Is that
elitist?  Maybe.  It's just another time issue -- I don't have time for
everything, and I'm trying to get (and give) the most value for my time.

Yes, I'll read certain peoples' posts first, for whatever reason.

There are two people I used to look for, for responses to "Look at my MOC!"
posts.  If Terry K. or Jeremy S. responded with a "that's great!" post,
then I'd go look at the MOC.  They never steered me wrong.

One thing is I do get disappointed if I don't get replies - that might not be
an ego thing, but just the way my personality works.  I work off of feedback.
No one replied to my Spamcake To Go rendering I posted last week, which was
surprising to me because it was a hit at Kidvention, and with every Lugnut
I've shown in person.  But that doesn't mean that people haven't seen it and
haven't enjoyed it.

I'm still looking at it -- I immediately made it my background/wallpaper.
:)

Steve