 Off-Topic / Debate / 6691
Re: The Friendliest Site On The Internet. (Was Re: A little self examination?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 16:37:04 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Baulch writes:

Sorry, but it was NOT all Matthew by any stretch of the imagination. If
people had admonished Matthew using a friendlier tone the flame war would
never have happened. Go back and look at the thread in .space, it's • plainly
obvious that people were distinctly unfriendly, and at times, even more
childish than Matthew was. It was very, very disappointing to see.
The real surprise was that these people, Matthew included, were much, • much
friendlier, more reasonable and conciliatory when responding to me in
private emails. When I look back at it, it's obvious why - it's because • I,
personally, was polite to _them_!
Can you imagine how quickly and quietly Matthew's original comment would
have blown over if more people had been like this? The mind boggles!

Disagree. I have reviewed more of that unpleasant thread and looking at • the
direct replies to the first post, none of them are anywhere near the level • of
unfriendliness that MM ended up at. If anything, most of them were • friendlier
than MMs first post and the "attached/embedded" site. At least that is my • read.

When a wolf sneaks into the sheep herd, how many sheep are supposed to
docilely turn the other cheek and take injury before the wolf is expelled,
exactly?

Plus, I already tried it your way, a year ago. I know that I myself knew • what
to expect from the thread, unless MM had changed his ways from the Mad • Hatter
scansite incident, there was going to be a lot of nastiness from him and a • lot
of circular reasoning, factual errors, deliberate misstatements, • inappropriate
amplifications, etc. He hadn't changed, and all that came to pass. That's • why
I urged ignoring. Responding in a friendly manner wasn't going to do any • good,
it just fed the fire. That was my experience the last time I had a run in • with
this character. I was polite to him, he wasn't polite back. I could find • you a
half dozen other people who had the same experience.

Here we go again:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8133