 Off-Topic / Debate / 6661
Re: A little self examination?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:06:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
Ok...I occasionally babble, I'm long winded (and unrepentently so...), and I
am a fanataical advocate of commonly disparaged themes.  That's my
contribution to the wackiness of this community... (hey, every village needs
an idiot or madman)

Hey don't worry about it - I personally enjoy your posts anyways :)

[...]

In these 2 cases, the people had different priorities and LUGNET did not
fulfill their needs... will it ever, maybe...time will tell.

Both of those cases are understandable.  Because of the word 'Community' here -
there will be ALL types, even types who don't find it useful to devote time
here.  Hopefully they'll find some benefit from its existance, but if they
don't, let them build in peace.

[snip elitist examination questions]

I can probably answer yes to all of those questions too.

In my niche here (CAD) there are a lot of times I'll value the opinion of a
long time contributor over that of a newbie - because I know and trust the
person.  Not that it's right.

Yes, I'll read certain peoples' posts first, for whatever reason.

One thing is I do get disappointed if I don't get replies - that might not be
an ego thing, but just the way my personality works.  I work off of feedback.
No one replied to my Spamcake To Go rendering I posted last week, which was
surprising to me because it was a hit at Kidvention, and with every Lugnut
I've shown in person.  But that doesn't mean that people haven't seen it and
haven't enjoyed it.

I think groups exclude people based on signal to noise ratio a bit myself.  In
groups like space, you'll get the serious MOC making people, and the 'newbies'
(usually younger) who will say 'why don't you make this?' 'lego should make
this?' 'zapp pow bang!' - and those generally get looked over.  Its
unfortunate, but are those people really constructive to the group?  Is this
acceptable, because its the way societies function??  Dunno...

And I could go on...

I think some members are worshipped, coddled, and praised... some have
earned a place of respect due to their contributions and knowledge (which is
the natural order of things) and some have endeared themselves to the masses.

Yep, of course.

[snip factions paragraph]
Schtick happens, and
contrary to some beliefs, everyone does not necesarily like everyone else.

Unfortunately not.  I've got people here I don't like - but its part of life
that I have to deal with them in my interactions here.  That doesn't
necessarily make me elitist, but it doesn't necessarily make me not elitist.

However, that does not mean that we should ignore the contributions of
others or disrespect them.  Why not offer encouragement to "newbies"?  Why
not be open minded?  Why not act as a community? (say Hello to the aussies
or read .space instead of just castle once in awhile.)

I think that when we see newbies with talent we instantly absorb them and they
become 'one of the gang.'  (I'm sure if Dan Jassim had a computer and access,
he'd fit right in)  But there are some who struggle at first, and have to make
their way on their own.

When I started on RTL 4 years ago, I wasn't instantly accepted.  I was a 14
year old kid with no real knowledge of how to communicate effectively without
offending people online.  My website was less than stellar (Zacktron..heck,
its not killer now even ;) - I was the little brat of the group.  For certain
views, I was practically flamed out of there.

So I took a breather, gathered some resolve, and came back, and made the best
of it.  One thing lead to another - alongside this I had been playing with web
stuff etc. and the opportunity came to take on the ldraw.org project.  I did
it because I liked making sites and this needed a site.  I didn't do it
because I am super knowledgable of LDraw or LCAD stuff - I knew more than most
but still, I couldn't tell you half the utilities to this day and what they
do.  And POV, me?  Forget it :)

Now for some, I'm one of those people who you say is practically worshipped.
For others, I'm a noisemaker, but everyone has their opinions.  I don't think
its practically comfortable to be worshipped, nor is it the easiest being high
profile in the group.

But despite all of this, I've been trying to teach myself not to act elitist
or like an elite towards others, even newbies.

I think their has been an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING evolution/revolution in
building in the past couple years.

For certain!!

This may both encourage and discourage
others.  "newbies" and "de-lurkers" have been coming out of the woodwork for
quite awhile.  Why not foster a friendly environment that kindles a passion
in the ambivalent or says "come on in and sit awhile"?  (I  don't mean 12
steps, group therapy, "let's all hug" and cume-baya here folks... I would be
the first to hurl = )

I agree with you there.

The Ultimate lesson of Matt Moulton can be a positive one...

THE STRENGTH OF LUGNET IS THAT IT IS A COMMUNITY...
The fact that the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts is evident
here.  Why not rejoice in it?  That which Matt sought to destroy may yet
become stronger from his passing.

And hopefully it will do just that.

-Tim