 Off-Topic / Debate / 6617
Re: Sad state of affairs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:54:32 GMT

Matthew wrote in message <39ed018c.2602594@news.lugnet.com>...

People in the Lego community are responsible for my current views.  I
first had contact with the Lego Community on RTL, I had some
suggestions and ideas about a new website and was looking to see if
anyone would be willing to help me.  I got ass reamed for it, people
screamed at me telling me we already had Lugnet, Brickshelf, etc and
that anything I would try and do would be worthless and stupid.  It
really hurt me at the time, it also made me very angry, so I flamed
back, and thus ensued one of the more memorable flame wars in Lego
Community history.  I finally got fed up and I left.  I now operate
independent for Lego enthusiast who wish to see my work and share in
my opinions.  I wanted something I could put on my website which would
easily explain why I feel the way I do about the Lego community.  And
now I have it.  I thank you all for that, and I just want you to know
that I will put every effort into showing new Lego enthusiasts on the
web the way people like you are.  I will repay the generosity and
friendliness that was given to me on RTL some three years ago and the
update you all gave me today.

-Matthew

Matthew, you seem to be unaware of one of golden rules of human life:

APOLOGISE FOR BEING RUDE.

You aren't being shunned for being rude. You are being shunned for being
rude and being unaware/unashamed/unrepentant of it. It's what's made you
stand out from the crowd both here and on Usenet, in fact it's rather
abnormal in anyone older than 21. Most people are ashamed of being rude.
You? Not at all. It's the strongest characteristic that linked you to the
Mad Hatter persona, in my mind. Rather than apologising, you would launch
into a tirade of accusations and defensive posturing. This bad attitude will
achieve nothing, and frankly it's dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised if many
wars in human history began with just such an exchange.

Apologise sincerely and people will forgive you. I would hope that LUGNET as
a whole would forgive you, if they have a shred of maturity and human
decency themselves, and especially if they like to think of themselves as
good Christians (of which I do not myself, but regardless). I myself have
made a couple of derogatory remarks here and there, and have been ashamed of
it. I retracted the comments, and everyone forgave me. It is that simple for
all moderate levels of rudeness.

Refuse to apologise for being rude, and nobody will want your company. This
is how it's worked for millions of years, in every single collection of
normal, healthy adult Homo Sapiens that has ever walked the earth. Rudeness
sticks, you gotta clean it off. That's the way it works, and there's no
avoiding it.

Hopefully someone will read this. There's gotta be more people who enjoy
reading flame wars, besides me :-)

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164