 Administrative / General / 6138
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:21:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Main writes:
[...]
I know that there are some good aspects to article rating...such as filtering
noise and creating a "best of LUGNET" sort of highlight page...but I don't
think the current system is the best tool for the job.  Consider if, instead
of a 0-100 ten point scale, there was just an option to rate an article as
"I think this is noteworthy"  By default, the articles an individual didn't
think were great would sink to the bottom and articles that stood out as
particularly important would rise to the top.  The ambiguity of the ratings
would be diminished too...I don't know what a rating of "30" versus "40"
means...

Well, it doesn't really mean (and isn't supposed to mean) anything profound
but simply that the 40 is 10% higher than 30 on the recommendation-to-read
scale.  Similarly, an 80 is simply 10% higher than a 70 -- nothing profound.
But the difference between an 80 and a 30 is more meaningful, and the
difference between a 95 (for example some of Brad's announcements) and a 23
(for example some bickering and name-calling in .debate) is profound.

The ratings are intended mainly for casual and less-active readers -- to help
them locate things they might find interesting or useful more quickly.  There
is still a lot "to do" of course (such as top-N recent listings) before this
will truly become helpful.

but I can understand "look at these articles...a majority of LUGNET members
thought these were excellent."  Simplifying the system would also eliminate
some of the subjectivity of the scores the articles receive.  Someone might
think "40" is a ok score whereas someone else might choose "60" as a low
score.

Do you think that a standardized rating-recommentation info-page would help?
I've been following Richard Franks's suggestion for the past couple of weeks
and trying to consider 50 an "average post" midpoint.  Most of the things,
I end up marking 50 or 60, with some 40's and 70's and occasional 80's, 90's
30's, 100's, and 20's.  That seems to produce consistent results from day to
day, and is quick.

Also, do you think that the default rating should be 0 rather than 50?  For
a default of 0 would mean that articles tended almost always to go upwards
in rating over time, rather than either upwards or downwards -- in other words,
no one would feel that their post was ever "marked down from a 50 to a 30 or
40," but rather that their post was "marked up from a 0 to a 30 or 40."

There's less confusion about a system that just uses "noteworthy" as a
"good" score and lets other messages default to "no comment."

Do you mean like a 0 (zero) and 1 (one), or 0 (zero) and 100 (one hundred) and
averaging those rather than more gradations in-between?

--Todd