 Administrative / General / 6147
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:25:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Main writes:
[...] The newsgroup rating system would be simpler for me if there were
less choices...and I think it would be more objective (of course the
recommendations page would also address this problem).

Do you mean that from the point of view of a producer or a consumer of the
rating information (or both)?

I think both would be useful...

As a producer of ratings, it is certainly your right to treat the rating
levels more coarsely if that helps you produce ratings more comfortably or
more quickly or more meaningfully to you.  In other words, if you wanted,
you could apply this approach:

- Liked it:  mark it High (100 -- the rightmost choice)
- Didn't like it:  mark it Low (0 -- the leftmost choice)
- No opinion:  leave it blank

And the few times I have used the system...that's the way I've used it.  I
marked a few articles I read at "100" -- I don't think I would ever rate an
article "0" though...I only rate things that I think are really important (who
cares if I think something is really *not* important...I guess I just don't
like to spend too much time focusing on the negative).  One thing I really
don't understand is who goes to the trouble of rating articles that everyone
realizes are not important....like maybe the "me too" posts (in general groups,
not the new LEGO ones) or auction posts that just convey information about an
auction.  To me, it seems like a big waste of time on the part of the person
rating.

The system is designed to work whether people always rate 0 or 100 and never
use anything in between (ultra-coarse), or whether they use the 11-point scale
from 0 to 100 by 10's (moderately coarse), or whether they use the 101-point
scale from 0 to 100 by 1's (very fine).  (There's currently no interface which
actually uses the whole range 0 to 100 by 1's, but the system will handle it
if someone wrote a custom client to submit fine-grained ratings.  The finer-
grained ratings will be more useful for things like sets and websites, of
course, and not too useful for news articles since they are so temporal.)

As a consumer of ratings, any method for calculating a rating which averages
input ends up producing some sort of multi-position scale.  That is, even if
only two inputs are is 0 and 100, the average of several values still might be
something anywhere in-between such as 57 or 83.

I realize this...and that's fine...I think the resulting "average" is more
representational of the entire group's opinions, rather than the "weighted"
opinions of one or two persons who chose to use coarse versus fine rating
scale.  For instance...since folks have the option of rating a post "60" and
most people will take advantage of the available options and rate things in the
gray area between 0 and 100.  If I continue to just dole out "100s" that's
skewing the average and it's not fair.  I either have to ask for a simpler
system or try to use the "fine" system as it's intended.

As a consumer of ratings, would it help you more or less if the output had
fewer degrees of freedom?  Siskel & Ebert used a 5-degree system for rating
movies:  -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.  Other rating methods include use 4-star or 5-star
systems and some of these even output 8 or 10 positions by giving halfs as • well
as wholes (i.e., "3 1/2 stars").  Then there's the classic primary-school
rating system of A, B, C, D, F, sometimes with +'s and -'s, giving a 15-point
scale.  And then there's the classic secondary-school rating system of a 0 to
4 (or 5) point system producing extremely detailed average GPA's with 4
significant digits.

Giving a two-digit rating 0 to 100 which is intuitive in the sense of a
percentage seems like the simplest general-purpose way to go for something
where the domain of input (articles) spans the entire emotions-range from
incredibly exciting to incredibly disgusting.

Would you find it useful as a consumer or producer of ratings if you had the
option to specify how many choices (radio buttons) you saw when you rated
messages and how many scale-steps you saw when you viewed ratings?

--Todd

As a consumer, I'd rather not see the ratings at all ;)  Usually I read LUGNET
through a newsreader, so I don't see the ratings, but occasionally I peek at
the web page and see that this or that article was rated a certain way and I
think, "Wow, someone has a lot of extra time on their hands," or "Why would
someone rate this article so low," or "Wow, that rating seems petty and
vindictive to me...I wonder who is doing all this rating anyway?"

As a producer...well, I think it's best if I don't rate posts because I don't
want to mess up averages by giving out 100s and I don't want to have to think a
long time to try to come up with a number between 0 and 100 (particularly, if,
you're like me and would rate the same message "40" one day and "60" another
depending on when you read it, what you were thinking about at the time, and
all the other random things that contribute to scoring subjectively.)

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu