 Administrative / General / 6370
Re: Ratings thrown out; changed to Highlighting (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 05:11:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Gramley writes:
[...]
I do have one concern and that has to do with automatically generating the
Spotlight page based on these recommendations.  The concern is that
significantly fewer posts will show up.  Reloading the current Spotlight
page indicates that only one post (Brad Justus' Lego Direct post) in the
4-5 days it shows would warrant being on the page.

Good point, but keep in mind that it's using old data -- collected under the
old system.  Having an explicit "Spotlight" highlighting choice may (ought to)
make this not only easier but clearer for people.

I think that either the threshold should be lowered, or that some hand-
picking will still have to be done.  Or I suppose you could automate it so
that any posts that have received some number of spotlight recommendations
(like 3 or 4) regardless of other recommendations are listed on the
Spotlight.

Yup, the threshold can be set to 75 or 80 or 60 or whatever it turns out to
need (since everything internally is still 0-100).  The "Spotlight" choice
that people pick is just a recommendatoin (taken seriously, of course) but
perhaps the Spotlight page "itself" could have its own opinion (i.e. the
threshold) if it needed to.

Wanna get it 100% automated, if possible.  Not sure what to do about the left
column though -- no one has said it's useful or not useful.  But IT's what
chews up so much time, and why I need desperately to shed the Spotlight from
my daily/weekly duties.

Just some thoughts,

Thanks!

--Todd