 Administrative / General / 6408
Re: Ratings thrown out; changed to Highlighting (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:52:47 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Hmm...Maybe, but I meant fuzzy in the fuzzy-logic sense -- take the internal
score (0-100) and convert it to a real number in the unit interval [0,1], then
take the age of the message relative to the specified time period and make
that also a number in the unit interval [0,1].  Then combine those two numbers
(either via addition or multiplication or max-function) and sort by that.
I believe this is the algorithm used by "real" news like, for example, CNN
Headline News.  It lets something slightly older but with a higher score
outrank something slightly newer but with a lower score, but also lets
something newer with a high score outrank something older with the same score.
Thus, everything making it into that list starts out at some position and then
either goes up a bit (if more people come along and rate it higher) but always
is guaranteed to drop at some point.  Super-duper-duper important news tends
to hover near the top much longer than "only" important news.

nodnod, that's what I expect from the top40 page, but for the spotlight
(which I do like to think of as day oriented) the age of the message
shouldn't matter that much, cause the set we're ranking is (should be,
IMO) restricted to one day...

:)

Dan