 Administrative / General / 6143
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:32:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Do you think that a standardized rating-recommentation info-page would help?

Maybe something expaining the "judge whatever you feel" philosophy? Rather than
'an average post should have 50', 'a more than average post should have 60'
etc..

I've been following Richard Franks's suggestion for the past couple of weeks
and trying to consider 50 an "average post" midpoint.

Erm, I'm flattered! :) But I really didn't mean to say that anyone should give
average posts '50', or any other figure. LUGNET is full of worthy (average)
posts, I totally respect someone who would therefore rate an 'average' post as
40, 30 or whatever.

What I meant was that people will tend to see '50' as an average - eg Scott who
automatically considers <20 as a terrible mark (worthy of justification)..
which is why I feel it would solve a lot of problems to remove the ratings from
general view.. and let people use tables to see the most popular posts.

I would probably rate quite a few more posts if the scores were removed - there
is a lot of fluff around.. but it's *really* not worth it (to me) to make
someone feel disenfranchised(1) by rating an otherwise harmless post as 0.

Also, do you think that the default rating should be 0 rather than 50?  For
a default of 0 would mean that articles tended almost always to go upwards
in rating over time, rather than either upwards or downwards -- in other
words, no one would feel that their post was ever "marked down from a 50 to a
30 or 40," but rather that their post was "marked up from a 0 to a 30 or 40."

No - I think the current default=50 paradigm is great - just that by making the
entire focus of the rating mechanism the scores themselves, people
understandably get hung up on them.

Richard

1 - Unwelcome, picked upon, boring, unworthy, afraid to post, etc - some of
these I've seen people compain about, others I've felt myself to varying
extents; as a result of the rating system.