 Administrative / General / 6152
6151  |  6153
Subject:
Article rating (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:28:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Thomas Main writes:
[...] One thing I really don't understand is who goes to the trouble of
rating articles that everyone realizes are not important....like maybe the
"me too" posts (in general groups, not the new LEGO ones) or auction posts
that just convey information about an auction.  To me, it seems like a big
waste of time on the part of the person rating.

Probably depends on how quickly they can rate articles.  Through the website,
it's a little cumbersome to give input on everything -- a lot of scrolling and
mouse-clicking and waiting, etc.  But using a custom newsreader client, it can
be as fast as a single keystroke.

For example, if I want to rate an article 70, I just press the "7" key on my
keyboard and it queues up a 70 for that article (which it sends to the server
in the background) and then immediately shows me the next article.  If I could
(theoretically) actually read 1 article per second, I could actually rate 1
article per second.  But my brain doesn't work that fast.  :)

My overhead for rating something I've read is probably 1/2 second per article.
I have to hit some key to advance to the next article anyway, so it might as
well be one of the rating keys.  If I don't have an opinion, I just hit a non-
rating skip-to-the-next-article key and don't mark the article.

As a consumer, I'd rather not see the ratings at all ;)  Usually I read
LUGNET through a newsreader, so I don't see the ratings, but occasionally I
peek at the web page and see that this or that article was rated a certain
way and I think, "Wow, someone has a lot of extra time on their hands," or
"Why would someone rate this article so low," or "Wow, that rating seems
petty and vindictive to me...I wonder who is doing all this rating anyway?"

How about search results?  Sometime down the road (a long way, probably) the
search results could take the ratings into account (at your discretion at
search-time) and you could ask the search engine to give higher priority to
articles with higher scores.  Would you find that useful?

As a producer...well, I think it's best if I don't rate posts because I
don't want to mess up averages by giving out 100s and I don't want to have
to think a long time to try to come up with a number between 0 and 100
(particularly, if, you're like me and would rate the same message "40" one
day and "60" another depending on when you read it, what you were thinking
about at the time, and all the other random things that contribute to
scoring subjectively.)

Well, maybe it's not something for you then.  (Certainly, it's not for
everyone, because it does take a bit of time and concentration sometimes.)

What if, instead of giving out 0's and 100's, you could give out either a
25 or a 75?  (Or some other pair?)  Would you find that less intimidating?

--Todd