 Administrative / General / 6188
Re: Article rating (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:24:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
I'm still working on my perl/tk based streamer... it's coming along
slowly, since work keeps bugging me.  What about addind the
X-lugnet-rating header to avid.cgi, though?  Without it, the client
can rate, but won't be able to see other people's ratings...

The avid.cgi script is meant to serve things continuously, not backward in
time, so adding the header to that doesn't fit its design very well.  (It
would also add load to it.)  (But serving the ratings via something specially
constructed to handle back-in-time or since-some-time queries efficiently
through another separate script is planned.)

Also, is
it ok for the client to use the raw.cgi to get specific messages, when
needed?  Or is that not a part of the published API?

It's not a particularly streamlined script like avid.cgi is, but it's not
particularly inefficient either.  It's more efficient than the HTML display
of articles, for one thing, but still really intended for only interactive
display.

It doesn't have a published API, and it wasn't intended to be called from
user agents other than web browsers, but if you access it randomly (i.e.,
right when your app needs to display it to you) without hammering on it
(fetching zillions of articles in rapid succesion), it shouldn't be a problem.
In that sense, your agent would be acting like a browser.

For fetching multiple articles, instead of using raw.cgi, open an NNTP
connection and send:

1.  GROUP <group> to change into a group, followed by
2.  ARTICLE <artnum> to get the article data.

Repeat at 2 if fetching multiple messages from a single group, otherwise
repeat at 1 if fetching multiple messages from different groups.

--Todd