 Administrative / General / 6148
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:47:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Thomas Main wrote:
And the few times I have used the system...that's the way I've used it.  I
marked a few articles I read at "100" -- I don't think I would ever rate an
article "0" though...I only rate things that I think are really important (who
cares if I think something is really *not* important...I guess I just don't
like to spend too much time focusing on the negative).  One thing I really
don't understand is who goes to the trouble of rating articles that everyone
realizes are not important....like maybe the "me too" posts (in general groups,
not the new LEGO ones) or auction posts that just convey information about an
auction.  To me, it seems like a big waste of time on the part of the person
rating.

I just thought of a way to alleviate this problem.
Don't publish the average rating unless there are at least N values (N =
10?).
If there are fewer than that many values, just say "insufficient sample"
or
something like that.  That way only the articles that people feel are
important
will will get ratings, and articles that are irrelevant will continue to
be ignored.

I also think the idea of starting at 0 and going up is a good one, but
that
is an independent decision.

/Eric McC/