 Administrative / General / 6141
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:05:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

<snip>
Do you think that a standardized rating-recommentation info-page would help?

Yes, that's a great idea.

<snip>

Also, do you think that the default rating should be 0 rather than 50?  For
a default of 0 would mean that articles tended almost always to go upwards
in rating over time, rather than either upwards or downwards -- in other • words,
no one would feel that their post was ever "marked down from a 50 to a 30 or
40," but rather that their post was "marked up from a 0 to a 30 or 40."

Yes, I think that would alleviate the perception that certain people don't
approve of the posts someone else is making...I like the idea of a post getting
points for its merits and "floating up" rather than being marked down.

<snip>

Do you mean like a 0 (zero) and 1 (one), or 0 (zero) and 100 (one hundred) and
averaging those rather than more gradations in-between?

--Todd

Yep, I think so.  I see you as the kind of person who likes gradations...you
see the need to keep adding to and refining the newsgroups on LUGNET, you like
details, compartmentalizations, complexities, hairsplits... :)  I prefer simple
things (as long as they work).  The newsgroup rating system would be simpler
for me if there were less choices...and I think it would be more
objective (of course the recommendations page would also address this problem).

Thank you for considering my ideas.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu