 Administrative / General / 6170
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:15:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Richard Franks" <spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Ft9Is6.JAC@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

The problem with LUGNET is that it is the noise makers who shape things • to a
certain extent.

Unless you can name some names, and cite some examples then I don't think • I
can agree. Also, 'noise makers' is a bit of a troublesome term - eg. not • many
posts caused more noise than your request to change the T&C, and that • didn't
shape policy ;-)

Sorry I wrote that with TM's "air of self-righteousness" comment in my
head - absolutely no slur was intended.

The average guy/gal who browses the messages and just talks
LEGO has a important opinion, and just because he does not shout about it
does not mean it is not worth listening to.

Do you mean that people feel intimidated, or apathetic about sharing their
thoughts? Or maybe, if you're talking about LUGNET admin stuff, they don't • feel
qualified enough to give their opinion? If that is the case, then what do • you
think could be done to make more people feel welcome to participate?

I think Mike Stanley mentioned a survey they other day. Not sure how
representative it would be, but that is the only method which comes to mind
right now.

In the economics of ideas, those who contribute with thoughtful words (eg • Frank
Filz, and Thomas Main) 'compete' with those who might seek to shape, by
repeating their ideas periodically... do you think by having some sort of
'feature table', or suggestion board which people could vote upon ideas, • would
help?

I saw this mentioned before (I think by you?), I liked it then - and still
do now.

The rating system is sometimes used for this (especially in .debate).. but • it
is a flawed meter - I might rate highly a well-thought out post that I • disagree
with.

The rating system will only be any good when it is representative (of
what?). I doubt it is right now. It needs more time (still).

Scott A

Richard