 Administrative / General / 6369
Re: Ratings thrown out; changed to Highlighting (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 05:03:38 GMT

[snipped some good discussion and examples]

  0-50    =>  (blank)
  51-75   =>  ° (Highlight)
  76-100  =>  °° (Spotlight)

Thomas (and anyone else), does this seem like a positive change to you?

My thinking here is if people can see _exactly_ what they're doing when they
mark articles, and if they are physically unable to "begrudge" articles, then
only good can come from this.  And if the LUGNET Spotlight page can be
automated to display things based directly on these recommendations, then
we'll have a collaboratively generated Spotlight page more representative
of community opinion, instead of one which is hand-picked by a single person
(currently the case).

In this sense, the highlights (down with ratings!!!) are sort of like a
community project -- people working toward a common goal rather than serving
their personal interests.

This does seem like a positive change.  I appreciate not having as many
choices.  I personally have not been a victim of getting low ratings on
messages that I cared about, and people have been very positive about
models/MOCs that I have posted.  But I think this (highlighting) system is
better.

I do have one concern and that has to do with automatically generating the
Spotlight page based on these recommendations.  The concern is that
significantly fewer posts will show up.  Reloading the current Spotlight page
indicates that only one post (Brad Justus' Lego Direct post) in the 4-5 days
it shows would warrant being on the page.  I think that either the threshold
should be lowered, or that some hand-picking will still have to be done.  Or I
suppose you could automate it so that any posts that have received some number
of spotlight recommendations (like 3 or 4) regardless of other recommendations
are listed on the Spotlight.

Just some thoughts,

John Gramley