 Administrative / General / 6407
Re: Ratings thrown out; changed to Highlighting (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
shouldn't it sort by rating, perhaps with a time formula to lower the
rating?

It would quite easy to offer a sorting choice --

   a) Newest first  ("weblog" style)
   b) Most recommended first  ("weekly top 40" style)
   c) Fuzzy combination of both  ("today's top stories" style)

mmm... fuzzy :)  by day then by rating?  nod...  even put a separator
between days, somewhat like the current (Static) spotlight...

Hmm...Maybe, but I meant fuzzy in the fuzzy-logic sense -- take the internal
score (0-100) and convert it to a real number in the unit interval [0,1], then
take the age of the message relative to the specified time period and make
that also a number in the unit interval [0,1].  Then combine those two numbers
(either via addition or multiplication or max-function) and sort by that.
I believe this is the algorithm used by "real" news like, for example, CNN
Headline News.  It lets something slightly older but with a higher score
outrank something slightly newer but with a lower score, but also lets
something newer with a high score outrank something older with the same score.
Thus, everything making it into that list starts out at some position and then
either goes up a bit (if more people come along and rate it higher) but always
is guaranteed to drop at some point.  Super-duper-duper important news tends
to hover near the top much longer than "only" important news.

--Todd