 Administrative / General / 6384
Re: Ratings thrown out; changed to Highlighting (was: Re: the latest news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 15:27:37 GMT

<snip>
Thomas:  First, thanks for your comments (I don't know if I've thanked you
directly yet).  Second, things have just been "peeled" way back to their bare
essentials.  The underlying system is almost the same, but it's got a
completely new skin -- hopefully one which replaces discomfort with appeal.

Well, thank you and the community for having such a detailed and invloved
discussion and consideration of the system.  I never really expected this sort
of response; I suppose that a lot of other people weren't 100% happy with the
rating system as it was.  This new system is better, I think.  If it serves
your purposes and a majority of the other members are happy with it also,
that's great.

<snip>

Thomas, have a look now -- if you're still with us -- this is basically how
it turned out.  No more 40's, no more 60's, no more 100's, no more 0's.
Things not marked as noteworthy (i.e., Highlight or Spotlight) sit pristinely
unmarred.

I'm still here.  I had thought of posting a message during the first few days
of the old article rating system but held off until I could really think about
what it was that bugged me about it.  When I did post, I felt better for having
expressed my opinions...wasn't expecting any real in-depth discussions to take
place, though.  To tell the truth...I'm a little embarrased seeing my name in
the announce group...I want everyone to know that apparently a lot of people
felt the old system was not working for them...was I responsible for tipping
the first dominoe over?  Yikes.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu