 Administrative / General / 6139
Re: the latest news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:44:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Thomas Main wrote:
I love LUGNET and don't know what I would do without the many resources it
provides...not the least of which is a feeling of community and commonality.
But there are trends within the community that disturb me...the creation of the
council group, the article rating system, the self-appointed "police" of LUGNET
who monitor appropriate use of the server (although I fully support the
sanction of members who break the TOS...I just feel that there is an
appropriate authority that should enforce the TOS) and the air of
self-righteousness that I feel some members of the group have and use to make
others feel less worthy.

These are some serious concerns, and a while ago, I was on the verge of
leaving Lugnet. I think things have taken a turn for the better. Now
that Todd has clarified that the purpose of the council is not to be a
panel of judges, but to be a place where issues with the T&C can be
hashed out (with a specific invitation to a group of people Todd
respects to help him do that hashing out, but not closing the discussion
to others).

I do agree that the self-appointed "police" is a problem. I have
occaisionally called for people to refrain from this, and e-mail Todd if
they see a problem. Of course, just yesterday, I called out a post in
lugnet.admin.council, but that was to open a discussion (and I chose to
only post to council so that it didn't appear as a public condemnation).

Lugnet is Todd's creation, but by his intent, it is also a community
place, and being that, people need to be involved in how it's run. Todd
has set some parameters for how that involvement happens, which is good,
even if they perhaps need refinement. Note also that currently, only
Todd can enforce the T&C, although anyone can make noise about a
perceived offender.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com