 Star Wars / 7431
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 03:31:39 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Green writes:
For me, the real problem with the scale of the lego MF has been solved, and
that was that it seemed like the cockpit was meant only for one passenger. • That
was what bothered me most. The other things that bother me are the inside • being
divided up rectangularly into big spaces - doesn't reflect the inside of the
Falcon very well; last, is that there is no "corridor" between the cockpit and
the saucer part. This always bothered me about the Kenner Falcon toy, but when
the ship's cover was on, it LOOKED like figures could walk through that
corridor. The lego version doens't even give the illusion that a minifig could
walk from the saucer part to the cockpit. That bugs me. That and the fact that
the sides of the forward mandibles are hollow. There should we little walls
there, made up of varying pieces to show texture.

-John P. Green

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Lego's Falcon is near
perfect external scale compared to their X-wing.

That's too bad.  The internal-set scale makes a lot more sense, based on
what the interior of the Falcon is supposed to hold and do.  Which is
probably why it's a more popular choice as the 'correct' scale for the MF.

I agree I prefer the internal scale myself.  However to say that TLC screwed • up
the scale is an incorrect statement they merely used the one we see when the
ship is flying next to other craft.  Luke's X-wing for example.

I'd never say that TLC screwed up the scale, because I know there is no
'minifig scale'.  Actually, from that POV, the external-set size is a
better 'target scale', because that's what they've used to size the ships
they've already released.

My *guess* is that TLC looked at the MF scale-issue, built various models
from various pieces at both scales, and went with what worked best while
staying within the appropriate size-range.  Smaller=cheaper, which probably
had a big impact on their decision-making process.

Hopefully TLC will make a UCS Falcon that is mini-fig internal scale and is • all
grey.

That would be quite nice -- catching all the small colored signs and
markings on the Falcon's surface would be nearly impossible, even in a UCS
mod

I got my Falcon about a week ago and I've spent the time since building a small
corridor from the saucer to the cockpit.  It's not very hard but it took a
couple of iterations to get it right but I understand what you're saying, that
bugged me too.  A UCS Falcon would be sweet but they'll probably do sets like
the AT-ST or even the AT-AT first.