 Star Wars / 7287
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 04:59:09 GMT

My beefs aren't with scale. I realize that TLG couldn't make this thing big
enough, because it would just cost too much.

I stand by my comments, however, on the matters of:

- color... once again, light blue?!?! why not more dark gray? [Cost to fix
this: none]

- Filling out the mandibles... this would require about 4 1x8 bricks. [Cost:
less than a buck]

- crappy laser cannon... I feel this way about Slave I's laser cannons too
[Cost: How much do a few 1x1 cylinders and a couple other li'l widgets
run ya?]

- Poor interior... they could have at least put a couple of right angles in
there to throw off the prevailing rectangular shape. [ I think this could have
been done without adding more than $5 to cost. I'm not asking a lot in
this instance]

- I still don't like the single, huge POOP used for the cockpit canopy. I
think this could have been done better with a smaller POOP and a few
bricks. [ Cost: none - Isn't this a new piece? I think it could have been
done a LOT better... and with a standard 1x4 hinge]

I really can't accept "but it's for kids" or "aw, it's good enough" as
justification for plain lack of attention to detail. The other Star Wars sets
are for kids, too, and I think most of those were done very well, and
without compromising too much. I think TLG could have fixed my little
complaints here without adding very much at all to cost. This set just
looks like they rushed it to a deadline.

Anyway, I might pick it up when it's on clearance so I can get the minifigs
and inverse saucer parts.

I still want to see what kind of MOC freighters all you lugnet.starwars
people can come up with, despite my complaints about this set  :^)

~Mark

In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Feh.  I actually like the thing.  I liked it in preliminary photos, and
I still like it.  Granted, I wouldn't consider it even CLOSE to being
the end-all be-all of Falcon MOCs, but for parts it's stunning.  Even
the saucer sections look useful!  Did any of us seriously think that
this Falcon would be any more "accurate" than Kenner's model, • allowing
that the scale disparity means no Falcon that conforms to the laws of
physics can be fully accurate?

Anyways, I'll buy this one at the 75% price point (25% off) happily.
The way things have been going this year, I'll probably get it for $20
next week, but just in case the decision comes up...

best

Lindsay