 Star Wars / 7319
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 16:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:
My beefs aren't with scale. I realize that TLG couldn't make this thing big
enough, because it would just cost too much.

I stand by my comments, however, on the matters of:

- color... once again, light blue?!?! why not more dark gray? [Cost to fix
this: none]

- Filling out the mandibles... this would require about 4 1x8 bricks. [Cost:
less than a buck]

- crappy laser cannon... I feel this way about Slave I's laser cannons too
[Cost: How much do a few 1x1 cylinders and a couple other li'l widgets
run ya?]

- Poor interior... they could have at least put a couple of right angles in
there to throw off the prevailing rectangular shape. [ I think this could have
been done without adding more than $5 to cost. I'm not asking a lot in
this instance]

- I still don't like the single, huge POOP used for the cockpit canopy. I
think this could have been done better with a smaller POOP and a few
bricks. [ Cost: none - Isn't this a new piece? I think it could have been
done a LOT better... and with a standard 1x4 hinge]

I really can't accept "but it's for kids" or "aw, it's good enough" as
justification for plain lack of attention to detail. The other Star Wars sets
are for kids, too, and I think most of those were done very well, and
without compromising too much. I think TLG could have fixed my little
complaints here without adding very much at all to cost. This set just
looks like they rushed it to a deadline.

Anyway, I might pick it up when it's on clearance so I can get the minifigs
and inverse saucer parts.

I still want to see what kind of MOC freighters all you lugnet.starwars
people can come up with, despite my complaints about this set  :^)

~Mark

I agree with you 100%.  We all expected a paired-down Falcon, but I don't think
that we expected such a thrown-together and poorly-conceived specimen.  Though
it was designed for kids, TLC should still have taken pride in faithfully
reproducing it insofar as scale and cost would allow.  The suggestions that you
have made would be well within the cost-effective parameters of producing this
set.  On one note: the inadequacies of this ship will probably not be as
noticeable to most kids because most kids have not grown up with the ship as we
have; they have not our intimate familiarity with its details.