 Star Wars / 7281
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 00:16:05 GMT

Hello, I think it is okay for LEGO to make toys that are for kids and
enjoyable to the collector crowd.  I will give credit to LEGO for the model
they have given us on both the toy and collector side.  As a toy it satisfies
all of the play requirements of having good value at "reasonable" price.  For
us LEGO fans, it gives us a good starting point for our rebuilding.  They are
playing the middle of the fence with this model.  It is such a popular ship
that all kids should be able to have one, a model that satisfies us
enthusiasts would likely cost $200 at least.  I think that they expect it to
top most child X-Mas lists, like any other large LEGO set.

The parts chosen are not bad, and the colors work into the rest of the "total"
Star Wars theme, thus kids will have a good assortment for their own
creations, and the rest of us fill our parts boxes.  Some parts on this MF
model will help me make "my own perfect" model, so I will get it.  The
sections that need improvements are easy facelift operations, I won't even
have to re work the basic structure.  As I see it, MF is great for
customization, which will make me love it more.

All of us know about the nearly monthly sales on LEGO toys and the clearances
after about a two year run.  So price is really not the problem.  AFOLs
typically make our purchases at the sale/clearance prices because we know we
can double our available purchase cash.  If you love it to death you won't
wait.  With the reactions I have seen, I guarrante you that Target will have
it for $25-45 range in January, just like the Amazon Temple and Rock Raiders
HQ. And which of us is "totally" satisfied with any LEGO final product?  I
modify everything I build from instructions, or my mini-figs would all be in
the police slammer for public urination.
Boldly building,
Aaron
PS--I think that LEGO did target AFOLs with the whole Star Wars line, this
model included.  Aren't LEGO sets made for those of us who love to customize
our own toys?  Personally I find them very much to my (and my son's) liking.
We'll need at least two MFs in my house.
Happy day to y'all!

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
Remember, Legos are TOYS, and they are made for KIDS.  Don't get me wrong, I
wish Lego would target us AFOLs, but they don't, and so we have to take what
they give us or create our own models.  That is, after all, why we like Legos.

I don't have children, and I don't intend on having children.  I realize,
however, that Legos are toys, no matter how I try to justify my obsession.
Being toys, Legos are made for kids, and that may never change.

-Bryan

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:
Wow, having looked at all the photos from various sources, I have to say
that I probably won't be buying the Millennium Falcon set. What a
disappointment. TLG did such a good job on sets like the X-Wing and the
Snowspeeder, and even Slave I... the sets captured the essence of their
Star Wars counterparts very well, IMO.

This seems to be another case of "It's great for the kids," but us AFOLS
are left high and dry.

Discuss.

~Mark