 Star Wars / 7284
Re: Millennium Falcon Opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 01:46:53 GMT

The only falcon that was 40% too small was the one used in the first film (which
incidentally,
the set for was in my town :) the ones in the other films were the right size.

alot of information about the millenium falcon is here:
www.synicon.com.au/sw/mf/falcon.htm
they person who made it even managed to make a very accurate plan of the
internals of it.

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

Well I have said it before and I guess I have to say it again.  The external
scale of the life-sized falcon used in the movies is 40 percent smaller than
the internal sets that were used.  TLC's falcon is a near perfect external
scale.  Of course this means that the internal scale is crap.  (It is
impossible to create an accurate model of this ship)  The color scheme is a
dissapointment but that is about it.

-Lord Insanity
P.S. By the way every MOC falcon I have seen is oddly enough 40 percent too
big because they used the internal scale.

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:
Wow, having looked at all the photos from various sources, I have to say
that I probably won't be buying the Millennium Falcon set. What a
disappointment. TLG did such a good job on sets like the X-Wing and the
Snowspeeder, and even Slave I... the sets captured the essence of their
Star Wars counterparts very well, IMO.

This new Falcon is more like a Turkey.

It has the basic shape of the Falcon, but beyond that it bears no other
resemblance to the "real" thing.

1) The colors are poorly chosen (blue?)

2)The shape is hollow... check out the single-plate-thick hull in the front,
and the empty mandibles... they could at least have enclosed both sides
so you couldn't see through them.

3) The laser cannon on the roof is made from four antennas. Come ON,
LEGO, where's the little widgets or at least a few cylinders to make it look
like a laser cannon? Sheesh. My NLLSO could build a better laser
cannon than that.

4) The interior is square, with hardly any details, and it certainly doesn't
reflect any of the form present in the films.

5) That big cockpit canopy piece is just sad.

I think TLG is going to have to create a UCS Millennium Falcon before I'll
consider buying one... unfortunately, that's not likely to happen because
the cost would be prohibitive.

This seems to be another case of "It's great for the kids," but us AFOLS
are left high and dry.

Discuss.

~Mark